I had these the other day at a friend's house, and they were so yummy, I just had to get the recipe. I made my own batch the very next day, and they were gone within hours. These muffins are moist and cake-like, with just enough spice in the batter and a yummy crisp topping. What a yummy way to get a fun and comforting taste of the season.
Apple Strudel Muffins
(adapted from here)Dry Ingredients:
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c grated apples + 1 c chopped apples
- 2 heaping T applesauce
- 1/3 c packed brown sugar
- 1 T all purpose flour
- 1/8 t ground cinnamon
- 1 T butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, beat together 1/2 c butter, 1/2 c granulated sugar, 1/2 c brown sugar, and eggs until smooth. Mix in vanilla. Stir in apples and applesauce.
- Gradually blend the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Spoon into prepared muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/3 c brown sugar, 1 T flour, and 1/8 t cinnamon. Cut in 1 T butter until mixture is like course crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
- Bake 20 minutes in preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on a wire rack, or eat warm.
Delicious! Enjoy :)