Thursday, March 10, 2011

Today I Choose...

Did y'all notice that Lent started yesterday?  The Christian church has long viewed Lent as a time for intentional spiritual growth.  A lot of folks like to give something up during Lent, and I've done that in the past.  In the United Methodist church, folks like to add something during Lent, something to facilitate aforementioned spiritual growth, and I've done that, too.

This year, during Lent I've decided to be intentional in incorporating certain truths into my life.  I believe strongly in the power of choosing.  Even if one does nothing, one is still choosing.  Know what I mean?  So during Lent, every few days I will choose...something, and I will do everything I can to live and embrace that choice.

We are defined by our choices, and today I choose to be present with and for my husband and my children. 
Let's face it: we all have had times when we are one place, but we'd really like to be somewhere else.  But today, I choose to stay there, both physically and mentally, because that is what is needed.

As I mentioned a few days ago, my duties keep increasing.  I've got so much to do, but still the same amount of time in which to do it.  Unfortunately, lately it seems like all of the stuff I need to do (or at least think I need to do) is winning out over the people I love the most--the people, in fact, for whom I am doing the stuff.  What sort of a screwed up priority system is that? 

Today, it is my highest priority to let my family know, not just by my words, but through my actions, that there is nothing I would rather be doing than spending time with them.  The dishes and laundry and clutter will just have to suffer my neglect, because today I choose to be present with and for my husband and my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...