So it's been slow going. Due to the above mentioned restrictions (and AKD's dislike of cheese), I feel confident trying about one out of ten meat-free recipes that I find, and of those I would say about 1 in 5 meets the approval of more than 50% of the family. You can do the math...
The other day we tried Meat-Free Fajitos (Fajita-Style Burritoes), which I found in the latest issue of Every Day With Rachel Ray.
- 1/4 cup corn oil or EVOO
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, gills scraped and caps sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper, sliced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/3 cup dry sherry (I used marsala)
- 4 12 inches flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound manchego cheese, shredded (I substituted mild cheddar)
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- A small handful cilantro, chopped (I omitted this ingredient)
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 3 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat until smoking. Add the mushrooms and brown for 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tbsp. oil, the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the jalapeno, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the sherry to deglaze the pan; lower the heat to a simmer. Meanwhile, char the tortillas on each side over an open flame or in a dry skiller.
- Fill the hot tortillas with the manchego, mushroom filling, tomato and cilantro. Tuck in the sides, wrap and roll tightly into a burrito.
*Sigh* I decided to keep the recipe, but I won't be making it again anytime soon... You should definitely try it, though. Yum!
If you have any non-cheese-bean-tofu-TVP vegetarian entree recipes that you'd like to share, please do!