Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Long time no read

 Hey friends.  It's been a while.  I feel compelled to tell y'all that the reason I haven't even been doing menu plans is because we've been having an awful lot of fend-for-yourself these past couple of months.  It just seems not worthwhile to post a menu that is half or more fend-for-yourself.

Anyway, I've been thinking the past couple of days that I should revisit my 2021 goals for y'all, because while I almost immediately decided that I didn't want to do them, I did accomplish some.  And I'm curious to see how many.  

But that's not what I'm doing right now.  Right now I'm telling you about Esther.  Our Easter egger chicken, Esther.  My OG* lap chicken.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been going out to the coop after dark and moving Esther from the roost in the run to the doorway of the hen house.  In other words, she's been sleeping in the run, by herself, instead of with her sisters in the cozy hen house.

Most of the time after I move her, she hops up to the roost on her own, but at least once (it was dark, so she couldn't see very well), I lifted her up there.

A couple of times, I've removed Charlotte from the hen house roost, and put her in the run to allow Esther to hop up to the roost unaccosted.  

Because Charlotte is a bully.  And Esther is gentle, and would rather sleep all by herself than stand up to Charlotte.  Who is, by the way, three years younger.  Respect your elders, Char.  Honestly.

I hope that someday I'll go out and not see Esther on the roost in the run, but for now, I go outside every day around sunset, and Esther and I do our little ritual.  Me lifting her into the hen house, and her flapping her wings in protest.  

Be back soon with that 2021 goal wrap-up.  In the meantime, any guesses as to how many I accomplished?

* OG stands for Original Gangster?  Huh.  Based on current usage, I was thinking Original Great, even though that sounds weird.  Esther is definitely not a gangster, although maybe Charlotte is...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...