Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake {Freezer Friendly}

I'm thinking maybe I should make a "cinnamon roll" tag, since I've been posting so many cinnamon roll-esque recipes.  And I would totally do that, if I thought I would actually remember to use the cinnamon roll tag.  I'm so bad at remembering to tag my posts...

Anyway, you don't care about that (well, maybe you do.  If you care about that, let me know in the comments).  You came for the recipe.  And what a recipe it is. 

Imagine a sweet, light, slightly cinnamon-flavored cake, swirled with cinnamon and brown sugar, and topped with a delicious vanilla glaze.  Oh, and did I mention you can bake and eat one now and freeze one to bake later?  Run, do not walk, to the kitchen to whip up this delectable treat.  Right now.

Well, you can read the recipe first.


Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
(adapted from

Cake:
3 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 t. salt
4 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
4 T. butter, melted

Topping:
1/2 c. (1 stick) softened butter
1 c. brown sugar
2 T. flour
1 T. cinnamon
2/3 c. walnuts (optional)

Glaze for one 8x8" cake (double for 9x13" cake):
1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. milk
1/2 t. vanilla
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease two 8x8" baking pans or one 9x13" pan.
  • Stir together cake ingredients except melted butter.  When ingredients are combined, stir in melted butter.
  • Pour batter into prepared baking pans, sprinkle 1 1/2 t of brown sugar over each, and set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, mix together topping ingredients until well combined.
  • Drop tablespoons of topping evenly over cake batter and use a knife to swirl through the cake, making a marble design.

At this point, you can bake both cakes and eat one, freezing the other to be reheated later, or bake one cake to eat now, and cover and freeze the other cake to be baked later.

  • Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out nearly clean from center.
  • Combine glaze ingredients, adding enough milk to make it pourable.
  • Drizzle glaze over warm cake.  Serve warm or at room temperature.
To bake the frozen, unbaked cake, thaw in refrigerator overnight, then bake and glaze according to the recipe.

Now go!  Bake like the wind!

2 comments:

  1. I care about the tags, although I do understand the difficulty in remembering to use them. Not only do you have to remember to use the new tag, you'd probably have to go back and tag your other "cinnamon roll" posts. Such a pain.

    How does one "bake like the wind"? Since you hardly ever answer my questions on your blog, I expect I won't get an answer to this one, but I would be interested in knowing the answer. While you're at it, I still do want to know how you know how yummy crack is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I suppose baking like the wind would involve a lot of blowing and fanning and flitting about. You were running like the wind to get to the kitchen, so you should cook that way, too.

    And I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself (but really? Crystals don't taste good. And even if that particular crystal does taste good, one would not be able to taste it due to its numbing properties. And even if one could taste it, and it tasted good, I doubt it tastes anywhere near as good as Shirley bread. Because Shirley bread is just that good).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...