Monday, July 22, 2019

Week 6 garden tour

Hi friends.  Time for another garden tour/update.  I've decided that from now on all garden produce, when ripe, must contrast in color with its foliage.  Next year. #goals

 This is our tower of peas and beans.  The vegetation is quite dense, and it is difficult to actually find the peas and beans to harvest.  Nevertheless, we've been harvesting 10-15 sugar snap peas each day. I'm looking forward to the purple beans coming on, so I'll be able to see them.  Of course, they're climbing so high, I might need a ladder to reach them...

 Here are some green beans, blending in with their foliage.  They look like they're ready, but I think these might be* one of the asparagus bean plants, so I'm leaving them out there to see how long they get.

*the reason I'm not sure that these are asparagus beans is because I planted one asparagus bean and one generic green bean by the post, and this plant is one of those.

 Poor watermelon is hanging in there.  We've had quite a few male flowers--you can see two of the spent blooms in the upper right quadrant of the photo--but no female flowers, and therefore no set fruit as yet.

 Bean flowers.  So pretty.

 One of the nasturtiums has a bud!  Yay!  This is the first time I've grown edible flowers for eating, so I hope we get lots more.

 One of the zinnias in the bean/pea jungle getting ready to bloom.

 We've had lots of male zucchini and patty pan squash flowers, too, but no set fruit.  I've been wanting to try eating these, too, but haven't gotten around to doing the necessary research to discover how to prepare them.

 Here's a flower on the mini pepper plant.  I've seen lots of flowers, but again, no set fruit.

 These grape tomatoes are just now starting to turn.

 And all of the Big Beefs have set fruit on them, too.  I've noticed a little bit of yellowing and spotting on lower tomato leaves, but I've been pruning them off as I see them, so hopefully we can fend off blight for long enough to get a decent harvest.  These tomatoes are planted in the same place where we had tomatoes last year, which is kind of a no-no when it comes to preventing tomato disease.

 I loved the way the dew looked on these pea flowers in the morning sunlight.

 Our largest sunflower is probably 3 1/2 feet tall now.  I'm thinking I might be able to remove the fence in the next few weeks, because the plants are well established.  I'm kinda nervous, though, because the chickens are certainly capable of decimating all of these plants in just a few minutes if they choose to do so.

Still no flowers on the lemon cucumbers, but they are sprawling all over, and I am seeing buds, so it's only a matter of time.

And that's it for now.  What's growing in your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...