Friday, August 28, 2020

Zesty Salsa: a Recipe

 Hi again, everyone.

You didn't think I'd leave you hanging, did you?  Here's my salsa recipe!  It's modified from Ball Blue Book of Preserving.  

Mod-i-fied.  

So use at your own risk.

I hardly ever put the cilantro in.  It's such a small amount, it hardly seems like it would make an impact.  But I happen to have some cilantro right now, so I put it in this time.

Zesty Salsa

(click here to print this recipe)
Makes 8-9 pints
  • 10 c. chopped, seeded (I stopped seeding the tomatoes years ago, but feel free to take them out if they bother you, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 6 pounds)--measure after chopping)
  • 5 c. chopped and seeded bell peppers (about 2 pounds--any color you want)
  • 5 c. chopped onions (about 1.5 lbs--I chop these in the food processor, and it ends up being less than 5 cups)
  • 2.5 c. chopped jalapeno peppers (about 1 pound.  I also chop these in the food processor.  The more seeds and membranes you leave in, the hotter the salsa will be.  I remove the seeds and membranes from about half of my peppers.  The salsa's spiciness also depends on how spicy your peppers are, so don't blame me if your salsa ends up too or not enough spicy)
  • 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 T cilantro, minced
  • 3 t salt
  • 1.25 c apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (or a combination)
  • 6 oz tomato paste
  1. Combine all ingredients except tomato paste in a large saucepot.  
  2. Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  
  3. Add tomato paste and stir.  Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the salsa reduces to your desired consistency.
To can (please note: these are not thorough canning instructions.  These are canning instructions for people who already know how to water bath can):

Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.  Adjust lids and rings. Process in a water bath canner for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...