Thursday, April 6, 2017

Chicken Vision Board

Well, it's official.  Yesterday I ordered chicks, and they'll be here in mid-May.  There's no turning back now.  Getting ready for chicks kind of reminds me of getting ready for a baby.  Except no one has offered to host a chick-shower for me, and for some reason, I'm a lot less confident in my ability to keep chicks alive... (that's messed up.  Children are a much bigger commitment than chickens, so why am I more worried about the chicks than I was about kids?  Or am I experiencing selective amnesia?)

We decided to get a mixed flock of five--mixed so we can easily tell them apart, five because then there's one for each of us (and heaven help us if something happens to one of them...).  Bubby helped research chicken breeds, making sure the ones we chose are good egg layers, have generally pleasant demeanors, and are cold-hardy.  And, of course, they had to be cute.  Here they are:

Barred Rock--
Sawblock says this one should be named Rocky 

Black Australorp
Bubby feels that Austro is a good name


Cinnamon Queen
MC says we should name her Toasty Crunch 
Easter Egger
This is the one Bubby says I should name.  I'm waiting until I meet her to decide, but I'm thinking something along the lines of Edith (Edie for short)


Rhode Island Red
AKD thinks Red is an appropriate name

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...