Tuesday, February 2, 2021

21 for 2021

 Today I am doing something that has been on my to-do list every day so far this year, and even a few days last year, too.  I am writing (and publishing, because that's how I keep track) my 21 for 2021 list.  I'm not even sure it'll be 21 items, but I'll do my best.

It's taken me this long, well, I'm not exactly sure why?  Commitment issues?  Inertia?  Perfectionism?  Depression?  Pandemic exhaustion?  All of the above?

Anyway, if you've been around for a while, you've probably seen at least one of my goal posts (ha!  Goal posts.  Perhaps I should say one of my posts about goals).  Many years ago I gave up on new year's resolutions and started making goals.  And then three years ago, I took Gretchen Rubin's advice, and numbered my goals according to the year I was in: 18 goals in 2018, 19 in 2019, and so on.  I really enjoy this method of goal formation.  It's a little whimsical, and it's fun to be part of a group of people that I don't even know, each pursuing their individual goals.

So I'm going to type out some goals I'd like to accomplish this year, and hopefully there will be 21 of them by the time I'm done.  Wish me luck!

  1. Set up a spreadsheet to keep track of mystery shopping assignments, payment, and reimbursement.  There's one particular mystery shopping company that I really need to keep a close eye on payments for, and the system I've used in the past--hatch marks on an envelope--revealed itself to be insufficient last year, so I really need a new system. 
  2. Set up an electronic list of future projects--these can include Cricut projects, building projects, or really any ideas for future projects that I may want to accomplish at some point in the future, but that have no urgency or due date.  I do have a running list in my to-do notebook, but an electronic list would be easier to organize, which would make it easier to keep track of what's on the list.
  3. Complete 10 of the projects from my electronic project list (it's acceptable to add something to the list just to cross it off).
  4. Declutter and reorganize Pinterest boards.  At the beginning of the year, I had over 1600 pins in 90 boards.  It's too much.  I'm hoping to get down to 21 reorganized boards.  Twenty-one, because it's 2021, not because I've done careful consideration and planning and decided that 21 is the number of boards I need.  
  5. Declutter electronic mystery shopping receipts, photos, and screen shots.  Again.  
  6. Unsubscribe from 21 email lists in the first 21 days of 2021
  7. Improve my scores on all 2019 and 2020 Just Dance Extreme versions to Superstar or better.  I've been working on 2019, and I've only got one more to go.  I'm not sure where I stand on 2020.
  8. Complete 12 new (to me) hikes.  Stretch goal: 21 new to me hikes
  9. Complete streaks of 20 and 21 days.  The 20 day streak will lend itself nicely to a Monday through Friday goal, and the 21 day streak will work for a 7 day a week goal.
  10. Send birthday cards to 12 people I don't usually send birthday cards to.
  11. Walk at least 202.1 miles (hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, and running count.  As if I'm going to run any miles.  Ha).
  12. Plant a pine cone.
  13. Go to at least one in-person flower show at the conservatory.  Stretch goal: go to all of the shows either in person or virtually.
  14. Obtain a non-plastic countertop (which I will keep under the sink, because I hate countertop clutter) compost bin.  My current kitchen compost is in a repurposed plastic container, and it stinks.  The plastic picks up odors from the compost, and will not release them.  That's why I need something not-plastic.
  15. Make marshmallows from scratch.
  16. Make a list of 21 go-to meals that (mostly) everyone in my family likes.
  17. Oil wooden spoons, bowls, and cutting board regularly.  Not sure what "regularly" means.  Once a month?  Each quarter?  Once a year?  It's too nonspecific to be an actual goal, but it's my goal, so deal with it.
  18. Attempt to donate blood 6 times.  I'm saying attempt because I have a history of being rejected, and I want to make sure all of my goals are actually achievable.  If I successfully donate 6 times this year I'll earn my gallon pin, which should actually be a 2 gallon pin, but I took a long enough break in between that they stopped keeping track of my past donations.
  19. Volunteer not-at-home at least 12 times this year (I was going to say once a month, but since volunteering is a little more difficult for me in the summer, and I've already volunteered more than once this year, I went with 12 times).
  20. Grow paperwhites.  These are the little white flowers that are available around Christmas time when the amaryllis bulbs are in stores.
  21. Create a new goal.
Hey, look at that, friends.  I did it.  I listed 21 goals to accomplish in 2021  :)

Stay tuned, because next I'll update you on the 2020 goals I accomplished after I finished the first 20.  Does that seem a little out of order to you?  It's fine.  Don't worry about it.

Have you set any goals for this year?  Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...