Thursday, September 25, 2008

Vigilante Plumbing, first steps, and what Caleb really wants

I took matters into my own hands. I suppose that makes me a vigilante (I had to type vigilante in the body of my post for spell check to take a look at it, to make sure the title of my post is spelled correctly. Clever of me, huh?). I got tired of waiting for justice for my slow-draining bathtub, so on Saturday night, after the kids were in bed (didn't want to involve them in such distasteful adult matters), inspired by my widowed friend who has to take care of all household matters herself, I poured foaming noxious chemicals down the drain. I am happy to report that it worked, despite the hubby's protestations that it wouldn't work, that we needed a mechanical method of drain clearing...I can pour chemicals down the drain, but there's no way you're gonna get me to use a snake on the thing. Have you ever smelled the stuff that comes up when you do that? Perhaps that's why I've been waiting for Scott to do it for two years now.

I have unwittingly bestowed upon my husband an expert status for all things home maintenance. And while it's true that he knows a lot more about such things than I do, it's probably not fair of me to expect him to know what to do in all situations. The core of my small group at church contains two divorced women and a widowed woman, all of whom do not have the luxury anymore of having a husband to take care of all of the little things that go wrong around the house. So, in their honor, from now on, I might just take a vigilante stance toward more household opportunities...or not.
. . . . . . . . . . .

Caleb has been taking an unassisted step or two here and there. My baby is not going to be a baby for very much longer! I know that the goal is to raise healthy independent kidlings, but I do mourn, as we celebrate, the passing of each step toward that independence.
. . . . . . . . . . .

What Caleb really wants for his birthday:
Q-tips
my brush
deodorant
mixing bowls and plastic storage containers
a laundry basket full of clean laundry
anything that's stored in the lazy susan
small scraps of paper or wrappers, preferably spread around the house
small legos
anything that his brothers happen to be playing with at the time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...