Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Milk

It's my brother's birthday today. Happy birthday, Eric! I think he's 39 years old now. Yikes.
. . . . . . . . . .
We currently have 5 different types of milk in our fridge. I find this slightly rediculous, considering we only have 5 milk-drinkers in our family, but there it is. I'm the one who's buying all this different milk, so I could definitely reduce the number of kinds we have. Usually we only (only) have 3 different kinds: skim for me and the older kids, whole for the baby, and 2% for Scott. I've tried to get Scott to see the wisdom of drinking skim milk, and he's tried to get me to drink 2%, but neither of us is willing to budge on this issue any more. When we were first married, we both drank 1%. Neither of us was completely happy with this compromise, but we were willing to give a little. Then we had children, and we got used to having two different kinds of milk in the fridge, and now...well it seems it's gotten a little out of hand, doesn't it? When the youngest started drinking whole milk, I was making Scott mix his own for a while (skim + whole = 2%), but that got to be cumbersome (more cumbersome than 5 types of milk in the fridge, you ask?) after a while.

Strawberry milk was on sale ($0.99 for a half gallon) last week, and the oldest child asked me once if we could try it. I told him that if it ever went on sale I would buy some for him, so I did. He doesn't like it, so I'm extra glad I waited until I saw it on sale (we tried strawberry shakes, and strawberry-chocolate shakes: he doesn't like those either. Next we're going to try strawberry smoothies). Chocolate milk is on sale this week, and since our older children won't drink white milk any longer, the chocolate milk, when it goes on sale, is less expensive than buying white milk and mixing ovaltine into it.

Did I mention that we drink 4 gallons of milk a week as a family (more when chocolate milk is on sale)? So, I suppose, if we're going to have 4 gallons of milk in our fridge, they might as well all be different...

By the way, we also have powdered milk in the cupboard...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...