Friday, December 21, 2012

12 Treats: The Rest of the Cookies

Alright, my friends.  You guessed it: I ran out of time, and not all of these treats are going to happen.  Now you may be thinking to yourself, Scarlet, whatchu talkin' 'bout?  You've got plenty of time to make a few more Christmas treats.  I mean, it's only Friday.

Well, the in-laws have arrived, and you should see the amount of sugar and fat they brought with them.  Crazy, man.  No way am I bringing more sweets into this over-populated world.  That would be completely irresponsible.

I did manage to get one of the remaining treats made before the invasion: marshmallow star cookies.  These things are wicked delicious: salty, sweet, crunchy, chewy.  In a word, yum.  Click here for the recipe.


I have actually never seen a "white star," as called for in the recipe (must be a regional thing?), so I just use white candy melts--you could also use white almond bark.

And click here for my favorite sugar cookie recipe, which, I have a feeling, we'll be making on January 1.

Which brings us to Little Cookies.  Little Cookies are little sandwich cookies with sprinkles on top.  And when I say little, I mean about an inch in diameter...with so much filling, they're about an inch high, as well.  I don't know if Little Cookies are Hubby's favorite Christmas treat, or if he just needs to have them because he doesn't get them any other time of year, but you can believe Hubby's not going to let me off the hook on this one.  He will need to have Little Cookies or it won't feel like Christmas to him.  And I love him, so I'm happy to oblige.  Just as long as he's in the kitchen, too.  These things are a major pain in the patooty to make.


And with that ringing endorsement, the recipe:

Mix together 1 c. butter, 1/3 c. sweetened condensed milk (one can contains about 2/3 c.), 2 c. flour, and 1/2 t. salt.
Chill until firm, at least an hour. Roll (1/4" thick?) and cut in small circles--we use the top of a "sprinkles" bottle, about 1" diameter. Cover half of the circles with small round decors (these are the tops)--the rest leave plain (these are the bottoms).

Bake at 325*F for 10 minutes, and allow to cool completely before filling (ask Hubby why I added the cooling instruction).

For the filling, mix together 1/2 c. softened butter, 2 c. powdered sugar, and 2 egg yolks (save the whites for an omelet--yum!).  Hubby is extra generous with the filling, so we usually double, or at least one and a half, the amount of filling.

So there you have it: the not-quite 12 treats of Christmas :)
(click here to read all the 12 treats posts)

  • Santa's Snicker's Surprises
  • Rolo Cookies**
  • Oreo Truffles
  • Peppermint Oreo Truffles**
  • Turtle Cheesecake Truffles**
  • Buckeyes**
  • Little Cookies -- coming within the next few days
  • Marshmallow Star Cookies
  • Snickerdoodles
  • Chocolate dipped pretzel rods
  • (Christmas tree cake pops)
  • Sugar cookies--specifically trees -- maybe January...
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...