Thursday, December 20, 2012

12 Treats of Christmas: other dipped yummies

Oh good, you're back for more dipped goodies.  To see all of my 12 Treats of Christmas posts, click here.

This week I made peppermint oreo truffles and dipped pretzel rods.  You may remember that Christmas tree cake pops were also on the list and would qualify for this category, however, quite frankly, I'm a little tired of dipping things at this point, so the cake pops have been shelved for now (I've got all the ingredients ready to go, though, including baked cakes in the freezer, so I might just get them in before Christmas.  Or not).

Remind me, next year, to include more actual cookies on my Christmas goodies list.


Anyway, I made peppermint oreo truffles, and my friends, they are so good!  Almost better than regular oreo truffles, and that's really saying something, considering I don't like white chocolate.

So here's the recipe:
  • Mix together 3 1/2 c. oreo cookie crumbs, 8 oz cream cheese, and 1 tsp peppermint extract.  Optional: add a crushed candy cane or two.
  • Chill for 10-20 minutes to make it easier to work with.
  • Form into 1 inch balls and place on a wax paper or parchment lined tray.
  • Chill for an hour or so, until firm.
  • Melt about 12 oz of white chocolate.  I used white almond bark, and the consistency toward the end was getting a bit lumpy, so if I do this again (and I think I will), I will use baker's premium white chocolate baking squares.  You could also use semi-sweet or milk chocolate.
  • Using 2 forks, gently place each ball in melted chocolate and turn to cover.  Use a fork to scoop out the ball, letting excess chocolate drip back into the bowl, and place the truffle on a wax paper/parchment lined tray.
  • Sprinkle with crushed candy cane pieces.

Yum!

And dipped pretzel rods.  I chose to dip mine in white almond bark, but you can use whatever you'd like, almond bark, white, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate, candy melts, candi-kwik--whatever you can melt that tastes good and will harden again.

  • So just melt whatever you're melting, and dip the pretzel rods in it. 
  • Use a spoon to coat about 2/3 to 3/4 of the pretzel, leaving just enough uncoated at one end for a handle. 
  • While the coating is still wet, sprinkle with decorations: sprinkles, decors, colored sugar, edible glitter, crushed candy canes, cookie crumbs--anything you can think of really. 
  • You could also drizzle with a contrasting melted substance. 
  • I have even (and this is so yummy), dipped pretzel rods in peanut butter, then in semi-sweet chocolate. 

Dipped pretzel rods are so easy you can definitely have a lot of fun with lots of different variations.

Up next: Hubby's Christmas favorites

The Twelve Treats:
  • Santa's Snicker's Surprises
  • Rolo Cookies**
  • Oreo Truffles
  • Peppermint Oreo Truffles**
  • Turtle Cheesecake Truffles**
  • Buckeyes**
  • Little Cookies
  • Marshmallow Star Cookies
  • Snickerdoodles
  • Chocolate dipped pretzel rods
  • (Christmas tree cake pops)
  • Sugar cookies--specifically trees

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...