Thursday, December 13, 2012

12 Treats of Christmas: sweet stuff, rolled into balls and dipped in chocolate

So this category, sweet stuff rolled into balls and dipped in chocolate, contains oreo truffles, turtle cheesecake truffles, and buckeyes.  I figured, if I could just maintain my sanity while doing it, it would be best to make all of these in the same day, since they're all dipped in the same stuff.  That way, I could melt the stuff just once, and be done with it.  Less waste that way, too.  So that's what I did.

And you know how I mentioned it would be a good idea to do them all in the same day if I could maintain my sanity?  It's that sanity clause that determined I would be making these on kid swap day, which just happened to be last Friday.  Because that meant I had no children underfoot for a whole 5 1/2 hours.

That's right, my friends.  I am so excited that my friend J agreed to swap kids with me again this school year, albeit on a reduced schedule.  Camp Scarlet is back!

OK, so here are your basic sweet-stuff-rolled-into-balls-and-dipped-in-chocolate instructions:

Buckeyes, oreo truffles, turtle cheesecake truffles
  1. Mix together some sweet stuff (see below for the specific sweet stuff I used in my recipes).
  2. Roll the mixed-together sweet stuff into balls.
  3. Chill the balls until firm (I use my axillary refrigeration unit, aka the garage, for this)
  4. Melt some chocolate--I like Baker's Semi-Sweet baking chocolate squares.  I use a double boiler (actually my smallest glass bowl over my smallest sauce pan) to keep the chocolate melted. 
  5. Dip the chilled balls in the chocolate (I use a fork to set the ball in the chocolate and gently roll it around until covered, then I lift it out with the fork, letting the excess chocolate drip back into the bowl), and place on a wax paper lined something (like a baking sheet or cutting board).  If you want to sprinkle something on top, now is the time to do it, while the chocolate is still wet.

And that's it--pretty simple, right?

The Recipes

Click here for Oreo Truffles

Click here for Turtle Cheesecake Truffles (I used graham cracker crumbs instead of nilla wafers)

Buckeyes (from my mom-in-law)
Mix together 1/2 c. melted margarine or butter and 2 c. creamy peanut butter, then add 1 lb powdered sugar.  Optional: add 3 c. rice krispies cereal
Form into 1 inch balls, and chill until firm.
Dip in melted chocolate.
 Up next: things dipped in white chocolate, almond bark, or candy melts. 
  • Santa's Snicker's Surprises
  • Rolo Cookies**
  • Oreo Truffles
  • Peppermint Oreo Truffles**
  • Turtle Cheesecake Truffles**
  • Buckeyes**
  • Little Cookies
  • Marshmallow Star Cookies
  • Snickerdoodles
  • Chocolate dipped pretzel rods
  • Christmas tree cake pops
  • Sugar cookies--specifically trees
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...