These chocolate cookies are soft and delicious, chewy with a slight peppermint flavor infused throughout, and little pockets of peppermint crunch and semi-sweet chocolate goodness. Perfect at Christmas time, or any time of year.
Double Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies
1 c. unsalted butter or margarine
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. baking cocoa
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 t. vanilla extract
1 c. Andes Peppermint Crunch baking chips*
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter or margarine (I used 1/2 c. of each) and cool to room temperature.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- so Beat together butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in large bowl until creamy. Beat in the eggs.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture 1/3 at a time, just until blended.
- Stir in peppermint crunch, chocolate chips, and nuts.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart onto an ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until edges are set.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for about a minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
* You could also use Peppermint Crunch Andes candies, chopped. You might be tempted to use crushed candy canes in this recipe, and while that would give you a delicious peppermint flavor, I would advise against it, because the candy canes will melt, leaving holes in the cookies.