Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Homemade Applesauce {for canning}

The other day, my sis asked for my applesauce recipe.  I had to laugh, because I was remembering when I asked Grandma B for her recipe.  She looked at me like I was a little nutty, and then told me there really wasn't a recipe.  You just put apples and sugar in a pot and simmer it until it's mushy.

And that really is all there is to it.

I was kind of disappointed in that answer, though.  I wanted an actual recipe, with specific amounts, because I had never made applesauce before, and I couldn't believe that it really was just that simple.

I never noticed before--Bubby must have dropped an apple right as this picture was being taken.
In this picture, AKD was about the same age Bubby is now.
These days, we make a lot of applesauce.  We own 2 apple trees, and making applesauce is an easy and delicious way to preserve the apples.  We all know by now that our freezer space is ... limited, so several years ago I started canning applesauce.  In fact, applesauce was the first thing I ever canned--another thing that seemed too complicated, but turned out to be simple.

I experimented with two recipes I found in cookbooks, until we hit on a combination that we love.  Then I wrote it down.  And here it is.

Homemade Applesauce {for canning}
To print this recipe, click here.
You will need:
  • apples.  Grandma preferred Macintosh; we just use the kind that grows on our trees
  • sugar.  Grandma used liquid sugar concentrate; we use granulated white sugar
  • cinnamon & nutmeg. (optional)
  • water.
What you do:
  • Fill a 5 quart pot* with peeled, cored, and sliced apples.  We use a nifty little gadget like this.
  • On top of the apples, dump 2 c. sugar (more or less to taste), 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg, and 3 c. water.  
  • Cover, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  • Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until apples are tender, about 12 minutes.
  • Remove from heat, mash with a spoon or potato masher (if you want it chunky) or give it a whir in a food processor (if you want a smoother texture).
To can:
  • Immediately ladle hot applesauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Adjust and tighten 2 piece lids.
  • Process pints and quarts in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
* For a 3 quart pot of apples, add 1 1/3 c. sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 t nutmeg, and 2 c. water.  Makes about 2 quarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...