This week, I'm slowly dipping my toe into the using-up-random-fridge-and-pantry-items pool. I'm slowly dipping, partly because I'm afraid that pool is going to be cold (aka no one will want to eat what I make), and partly because there actually isn't a whole lot that I need to use up.
I made my pantry list weeks ago, but I just looked in the fridge today, and found...three...random items. That's all. About 1/4 c. turkey gravy, 1/2 c. salsa verde, and maybe 3/4 c. chilies in adobo. We're using the gravy this week, along with a small amount of penne pasta from the cupboard that isn't enough for a meal on its own.
I found three open bags of marshmallows in our cupboard, which is typical. Why do we open new marshmallows when we have an open bag? I dunno. All I know is that they're there, and they're stuck together and gross (I mean, marshmallows are gross anyway, but when they're stuck together it's worse). I'll be making cereal bars with those. In an ironic twist, I also found unflavored gelatin in a cupboard, which I plan to use to make...marshmallows. But not this week. Maybe I'll wait until closer to s'more season.
Here's what's on the menu this week:
- Cheesy mini burgers, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, green beans
- Spaghetti (and a small amount of penne) and meatballs, garlic toast, broccoli
- Kielbasa and cauliflower stir fry, applesauce, corn
- Pizza, salad
- Hamburgers, buns, chips, grilled asparagus
- Ribeye steak with portabello mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli