Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Misc and Inaguration Day


Here are Logan and Cody trying on the wet suit Grandma gave us.
Here's Caleb sitting in his rocking chair reading his new favorite book: God Made Me. He would climb up into the chair and say, "me, me, me" in that cute little boy voice, while flipping through the pages. His favorite is the mirror on the last page.
The picture doesn't really do it justice, but I had to try. Our trees had tiny little feathers of ice all over them this morning.
. . . . . . . . .
I have noticed that when I buy bananas for a specific purpose, such as making smoothies or banana muffins, the bananas are always eaten before I get around to using them for that purpose. However, when I just buy bananas for no reason other than to eat, they almost always are over ripe before we eat them all.
. . . . . . . . .
The other day I was preparing a microwave-heated sandwich for myself. Reading the directions, I saw these words: "caution, after microwaving, product may be hot." Well, you know, hot was kind of what I was going for...
. . . . . . . . . .
Today Barack Obama will take office as our 44th president. Here are some excerpts from a letter to his daughters published in Sunday's Parade Magazine:
"When I was a young man, I thought life was all about me--about how I'd make my way in the world, become successful, and get the things I want. But then the two of you came into my world with all your curiosity and mischief and those smiles that never fail to fill my heart and light up my day. And suddenly, all my big plans for myself didn't seem so important anymore. I soon found that the greatest joy in my life was the joy I saw in yours. And I realized that my own life wouldn't count for much unless I was able to ensure that you had every opportunity for happiness and fulfillment in yours. In the end, girls, that's why I ran for President: because of what I want for you and for every child in this nation. ...
"...And I want us to push our own human boundaries to reach beyond the divides of race and region, gender and religion that keep us from seeing the best in each other. ...
"[Your Grandmother] helped me to understand that America is great not because it is perfect but because it can always be made better--and that the unfinished work of perfecting our union falls to each of us. It's a charge we pass on to our children, coming closer with each new generation to what we know America should be."
When Mr. Obama won the election, I didn't understand why everyone was making such a big deal of him being black. I guess I wasn't looking at the color of his skin, but at his ideas and values. Then again, I guess that I have never lived in or experienced the kind of prejudice and oppression that still exists in our country--for that, I am thankful. I thought we were over that. Based on our country's reaction, I'd have to say I was wrong, but I hope that this historic election process has caused a giant leap in the right direction.
Mr. Obama, I wish you the best. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, and I thank you for being willing to serve our country as president. The task set before you is difficult--some may even say insurmountable--but I know that you love this country and will do your best, and that's all we can ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...