Friday, January 30, 2009

Indulging my inner Tex-Mexican

Lately, all food mexican has been sounding good to me. I'm hoping that if the family has noticed that we've had 3 mexican-type suppers in the past week, that they don't really mind. I thought I'd share a couple of recipes for the crock pot.

Chicken Ole (makes 8 servings)
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (7 oz) can green chile salsa (I used "salsa verde" from the ethnic foods aisle)
1 c. sour cream
1 T. grated onion
12 corn tortillas, cut into 6 or 8 pieces each
4 c. coarsely chopped cooked chicken or turkey (I used ~3 cups, and thought it could have used more)
3/4 c. (3 oz) shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar, because that's what I had)

Lightly grease sides and bottom of a slow cooker. Combine soups, salsa, sour cream and onion in a bowl. In the slow cooker, arrange alternating layers of tortillas with chicken and soup mixture (I did 3 sets of layers, ending with the soup mixture on top). Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook on low another 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with orange and avocado slices.

As you can guess, the tortillas pretty much dissolved during the cooking, so we were left with a slightly spicy corn, cheese, and chicken mush--so delicious! The leftovers were good, too. If you want to make it a one pot meal, I would suggested adding fresh broccoli florets (2-3 cups) with the chicken. You could also add frozen or canned corn.

Beef Burritos (makes 6 to 8 servings)
2 lbs boneless beef chuck or other pot roast
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 t. beef bouillon granules or 1 beef bouillon cube
1 onion, chopped
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro (I left this out)
1/2 t. salt
1 (16 oz) can refried beans, heated
6 to 8 (12-inch) flour tortillas, warmed

Trim fat from beef and discard. In a slow cooker, combine meat, chile, garlic, bouillon, onion, spices, and salt. Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove meat from slow cooker. With 2 forks, shred meat; combine with 3/4 c. cooking juices. Spread warm tortillas with refried beans. Add shredded beef. Fold over tortilla sides, then roll up. Serve warm. Shredded cheese and/or salsa can be added to the burrito before folding.

I don't actually know how this one tastes yet, because it's in the slow cooker right now. Smells good, though. And obviously, if you don't like refried beans (I'm the only one in my family who likes them, and I only like the americanized version, not the real thing), you can leave them out. I'm sure you can accessorize with lettuce and other traditional taco toppings. And our crock pot seems to cook extremely hot, so I'm going to go up and add some beef broth.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...