Sunday, December 18, 2011

Shadow

As I set out for my walk in the early darkness this morning, I noticed that the light from the moon was bright enough to cast a shadow.  It wasn't bright out, by any means, in fact I was glad my neighbors were not out and about yet, since I was none too visible, but the light reflecting onto the earth from the half-moon cast a shadow as I walked.
When I was about halfway done with my walk, I noticed that I couldn't see my shadow any more.  The light from the sun, even though it wasn't up yet, overpowered the feeble reflection from the moon.  By the end of my walk, as I turned to walk up the driveway, I noticed that I could see my shadow again, this time cast in the light from the sun, even though the sun still wasn't yet above the horizon.

These observations got me thinking about light again, how the sun and the moon both provide light, but the light from the sun is so much more powerful that the moon's light disappears in the light of the sun.  The light from the sun is so much brighter that just a fraction of the sun's light causes the moon's light to fade to obscurity.  And these thoughts brought to mind these verses from Isaiah, chapter 60:

19 The sun will no more be your light by day,
nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you,
for the LORD will be your everlasting light,
and your God will be your glory.
20 Your sun will never set again,
and your moon will wane no more;
the LORD will be your everlasting light,
and your days of sorrow will end.
In coming days, when He returns, the light of Christ will be even brighter than we can imagaine.  His light will be so luminous, so radiant, that the light of the LORD will overpower even the sun's rays, and there will be no more darkness, no more fear, no more sadness, no more pain. 

He will wipe every tear from their eyes.
There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain.
Revelation 21:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...