Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Ladybug Math (an addition file folder game)

Oh my goodness, I love file folder games.  Which is why it's a bit strange that I haven't made many, many more of them than I have.  However, when I saw this one over at Mama Jenn's blog, I knew I had to make it. 

Even not taking into account that it's a BUG, this thing is so.stinkin'.cute!  Added bonus: this file folder game is super easy to put together.  Oh, right, and educational.  That's the main reason I wanted to make it, of course.

 Just trace a bowl on red construction paper and cut it out.  Do the same with a glass on black construction paper, and glue 'em down to your file folder.  Add a black stripe and some eyes and you're set.  I covered my ladybug with clear contact paper to make it more durable.

 I cut apart a baseball card holder (don't tell MC!) to make the sleeve for the addition facts.  The top and left side are open to make it easy to slide the cards in.  You can even use a dry erase marker to write the answer on the sleeve and easily erase for the next card.

Mama Jenn suggested using a baseball card holder to hold the flashcards, but I ended up using a  No. 6 3/4 envelope, as you can see on the upper left side of the game.  I used a sleeve from the baseball card holder to hold the dots.

I used a 1" round punch to make the dots (thanks to a friendly Boy Scout for lending me hers), and you can print out the flashcards from here.

To play, simply choose an addition card and place it inside the pocket underneath the ladybug. Place the appropriate number of dots on each side of the ladybug, then count up all the dots and use a dry erase marker to write the total. Erase your answer and move on to the next card.

See?  What'd I tell ya?  Super cute, super easy, super educational.  Have fun :)


Here's what you need:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...