Friday, September 20, 2013

My Priorities

Earlier this week, I shared why setting formal priorities is important to me at this point in my life.  I think it's a good idea for all of us to periodically reevaluate what's important to us, and use those priorities to determine how we spend our time.  These are what I'm working toward now, this school year.  So here we go--my priorities:

1. God. 
I have a confession to make.  When I have been thinking about this list these past few weeks, God has not entered my head.  I have been thinking mostly about my wants and needs.  After all, I've been thinking about everyone else's wants and needs for so long.  But honestly, my number one need is the saving grace of my Creator, and spending time in God's holy presence has been one of those things that is important, but gets pushed to the end of the to-do list.  I'm not proud of it--just telling it like it is.

2. My family.
Ugh.  How I wish those guys weren't so high on my list.  I want my time to be about me.  Selfish, I know, but after 14 years of giving everything of myself to my children and my husband, I just want to find myself again, you know?  And yet, my family is everything to me.  Everything I do is for them.  And I can't let other responsibilities encroach on my responsibility to my family.

3. Rest.
I am so tired, my friends.  It has been a long haul getting to this place, and I've lost myself along the way.  So rest, renewal, and healing need to be a big part of my days.

4. Taking care of me.
Oh yes, I have not been taking care of myself, physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, creatively.  I've been letting it slide.  Mothering in the trenches.  Keeping my head above water.  Not a whole lot of time for self-care these past years.  I have been promising myself this for years.  It's time.

5. Connection.
We were not created to navigate through this life alone, but it is so hard to form relationships as a mom to small children.  Even if the opportunities are available, dragging a kid along all the time can really get in the way.  I mean seriously, have you ever tried to have lunch with a friend and a toddler? I am looking for deeper connections to my larger community, but only after my top 4 priorities are met.

My hope is that thinking about my priorities will make my choices clearer going forward.

How about you?  What are your top 3 or 5 or 10 priorities?  Do you use them to make decisions in your daily life?  Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...