Friday, November 22, 2013

Glazed Cinnamon Scones

Welp...here it is Friday already.

My friend, (Girl Scout) Cookie Mom, asked me to email this recipe to her OVER two weeks ago, and I thought to myself, self, I bet a lot of your friends and readers would like this recipe.  You should blog it.  And then send the link to (GS)CM.

Yeah, well, the drier went on strike, the paint color was wrong, and this is the busiest week ever.  And did I mention the people will begin to arrive on Monday?  And the people....They're planning to stay.

Please forgive my silence, friends.
***********
Here's something I bet you didn't know.  Scones taste good.  Actually, scones taste better than good.  Scones taste incredible.  Seven out of 7 taste-testers agree.  And fight over who gets the last one. 

Here's another something I bet you didn't know.  Scones are easy to make.  I know!  Who would have thought?  Scones sound so fancy that they must be difficult, or at least time consuming, to make.  And guess what?  These ones taste like cinnamon rolls.  Without the hours and hours of prep.  It's just about 25 minutes from start to flaky, melt-in-your-mouth cinnamon goodness. 

You're welcome.

I adapted the recipe from here, and I'm gonna go ahead and use her picture because the last time I made these, they were gone before I remembered I was gonna blog about them.  Also?  Her pictures are prettier than mine.


 Yeah.  That's all that was left by the time I got the camera out.


Glazed Cinnamon Scones
{Source}

 
See?  Much nicer.  And might I just add that I am happy to see that I am not the only blogger in the world whose cookie sheets are less than pristine. 
 
I did make some changes to the recipe, though, so you can stick around here for that...
 
Glazed Cinnamon Scones
2 c. flour
2 T granulated sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 c (1 stick) butter
1 egg, separated
3 T honey
1/3 c. buttermilk (or 1/3 c milk, mixed with 1/2 t lemon juice*)
 
Topping:
1 T light brown sugar
1 T granulated sugar
1/2-1 t ground cinnamon
 
Glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1 T milk
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Cut in butter** until crumbly.
 
Separate egg.  Set egg white aside.
 
In a separate bowl, mix egg yolk, honey, and buttermilk (I just mix these in the glass measuring cup I measure the milk into--no need to get another bowl dirty).  Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.  The dough will be a bit crumbly.
 
Gently form dough into a ball and dump onto a greased cookie sheet.  Roll or pat out to half an inch thickness and ~8" diameter (or shape these in a 8" round cake pan, then dump onto the cookie sheet).  Cut into eight equally sized pieces, and pull each piece out a little so it's not touching the pieces next to it.
 
Whisk egg white until frothy and brush over the tops of the scones.  Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle over egg-white brushed scones.
 
Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
 
Meanwhile, mix together glaze ingredients, adding a bit more milk if necessary.  Drizzle over the scones after they're baked.  Eat warm.
 
You may have noticed that this recipe is basically biscuits with cinnamon/sugar topping and glaze on them.  Yup.  Now you know the secret.  That's what scones are.  So much less intimidating now that you know that, right?
 
Enjoy!
 
* If you're using the milk/lemon juice mixture in place of buttermilk, mix the milk and lemon juice together before you do anything else--it needs a little bit of time to "activate" before adding to the recipe.
 
** I used cold butter in this recipe, since I the kids didn't want to wait for it to soften on the counter.  The cold butter really did a number on my pastry blender (next time I'll use table knives instead), but I think the butter being cold made the scones fluffier and oh-so-tender.  So it's up to you whether you want to let it soften or use it cold.  And yes, use real butter for this recipe.  Totally worth it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...