Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Hummus

Hummus is a great source of protein and healthy fats, a combo that makes for a very filling and satisfying snack.

Hummus.  Love it.  Don't love the price tag. 

Seems like I 've heard that somewhere before.  Like, pretty much every time I share a recipe.  Y'all must think I'm so cheap.

Well, you're right.  Why pay more than you have to?  For anything?

Garbanzo beans (or chickpeas) are a neutral tasting legume, taking on the flavor of whatever you mix with them, so be sure to load up your hummus with flavors you love (have you tried...Cookie Dough Hummus?  Me neither, but I'll let you know about it when I do).

Here's my favorite version (this is quite garlicky.  If you don't love garlic, you might want to cut back a little...)
{Source}
Hummus

15 oz can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained, liquid reserved
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 t. ground cumin
1 T olive oil
1-2 T lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
  • In a food processor or blender, blend together garbanzos, garlic, cumin, olive oil and lemon juice until smooth.
  • Add reserved liquid a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
  • Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Keep this in the fridge for about a week.  I like to dip veggies, like carrots, sweet peppers, and sugar snap peas in hummus.  It also makes a great sandwich spread.

And speaking of sugar snap peas, Fleet Farm.  Best. Store. Ever.  They have everything.  Including the elusive sugar snap pea seeds (although I did see some empty slots there as well!  I wonder what's going on in the sugar snap pea seed realm... World-wide shortage?  Mom Group meeting talking about how easy and delicious they are to grow?  The world (and by "the world" I mean me) may never know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...