Friday, June 13, 2014

This week in review

I guess I'll start with the biggie.  All three of our kids reached significant milestones in their education this week.  Bubby completed Kindergarten, MC completed 5th grade, and AKD completed 8th grade.  For MC and AKD, this means new schools next year.  We're so proud of their accomplishments so far, and can't wait to see where the future takes them.

A lot of our week revolved around end of the school year stuff.  MC and the 5th graders headed to the big zoo on Monday, while Kindergarten showed parents and grandparents how much they've learned at a Kindergarten celebration. 

Tuesday was AKD's 8th grade Fare-Thee-Well, sending the class of 2018 off to High School. 

Wednesday we celebrated the end of the school year with kite day at the elementary school.  Even managed to get my kite up (which happens {on kite day} about once every 4 years or so--they always seem to pick a wind-less day).  Wednesday evening the 5th graders faced off against their parents and teachers in Trench (which seems to be a more complicated version of dodgeball?) at a picnic in their honor. 

Thursday was the last day of school, which is always a big party at the elementary school.  This year they duct-taped teachers to the wall.  Not kidding.  AKD and the 8th graders headed off to a waterpark and amusement center for their last day.

Of course we had soccer games and practices this week.  MC and Bubby are both strong players on their teams.  I think MC's team tied.  Not sure about Bubby's team, but he scored their only 2 goals.  AKD's team pounded their competition on Monday, winning 8-2.  Wednesday's game was closer, but the Raiders pulled out a 3-2 victory.  His team is playing well, and his coach has been moving AKD around a bit.

I walked to the waterfall yesterday, which from our house is about a 6-7 mile round trip (more like 9 if you believe the map, but I do not believe the map).  Remember when I said I would before the end of the school year?  Well, it was down to the wire, but I made it.  It was a lovely morning to be out walking, and I love that path, the lake, river, and waterfall.  It was a nice, contemplative way to enjoy my last few hours of alone time before the kids were home for the summer.

I made the dessert for the important person in my life yesterday.  Well, I started making it yesterday, but it was so busy I wasn't able to get the final layer on.  I don't think she'll mind.

On Sunday, we returned home from a weekend camping trip to find water in our finished basement.  A lot of water.  Again.  So frustrating.  We ripped out the carpet and are in the process of drying out.  We were advised to redo some landscaping, so our weekend plans have been canceled to take care of this issue, hopefully once and for all.

Today, the boys and I are taking care of a few things around the house that have been neglected due to the busyness of the past few weeks, plus doing some prep work for the weekend.  Then we're off to the library to sign up for the summer reading program, followed by shopping for snacks for the older boys' Scout camp.

Next week, we are off and running into our busy summer, with enrichment summer school classes, swim lessons, a couple of appointments, and of course, more soccer.  Off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...