AKD happened to be in the kitchen while I was spreading the crust and making the sauce, and I commented to him that it seemed like a lot of work, making pizza.
First I proofed the yeast, and then I mixed in the rest of the crust ingredients, kneaded it, and let it rise, then I made the sauce. Then I had to spread the crust in the pans and let it rise again. Next I had to cut the veggies and assemble the pizzas, made easier by the pre-cooked sausage in the freezer, which is now gone, which means next time it's going to be that much more work.
For the first time ever, I found myself wondering if it was really all worth it. I mean, I love pizza. There was a time in my life when, if pressed to pick one and only one food to eat for the rest of my life, I would have picked pizza. It's the obvious choice, really. All the food groups in one yummy package, not to mention the endless variety possible in the pizza realm. (Now I would choose salad, because ditto on all the food groups packed into one yummy package and endless variety).
It's just... A lot... Of work...
You know, compared to how much work I was putting in to cooking last week. Which was minimal.
This is the last week of the October plan-one-week-and-repeat menu plan. I'm still loving it--I love having default meals to fall back on--but I'm aware that it needs tweaks. I'm just not sure what kind of tweaks. I'll let you know
Here's what's on the menu this week:
- Hamburgers, buns, carrots, salad
- Chicken chili verde, tortillas, taco-type toppings
- Nachos, taco-type toppings
- Southwestern chicken wraps
- Pizza/cauliflower crust pizza, salad
- Chicken Alfredo with rotini, broccoli/cauliflower/carrots
- Pork chops, grilled green veggie, applesauce, garlic toast
- Pita bread
- Avocado chicken salad
- Egg roll in a bowl (from this cookbook)
- Pinto beans
- Taco bean soup
- Mini spider cupcakes (with candy eyes, because those m&ms + marshmallows look ridiculous, and black licorice, because, come on, red legs? and cookie crumbs because Bubby likes them better than sprinkles. So I'm really not making these at all.)