Monday, March 29, 2010

Holy week, revisited

I'm not feeling particularly inspired or spiritual this holy week...I'm not sure why that is--perhaps because I've been too busy wallowing in self-pity because Hubby's out of town, and will be, through Easter and beyond. I feel like I should* be feeling close to God and meditating on holy things, but I'm not...so you're all in for a treat. I'm reposting my holy week musings from last year, hoping that rereading them will inspire me. Maybe they'll inspire you, as well.

*There's that darn "should" again...
* * * * * * * * * * *
Today is Monday of Holy week, the day that I traditionally think about Jesus going into the temple and overturning tables. I think this actually happened on the same day as the triumphal entry, which we celebrate on Palm Sunday, but today is the day I think about it. I love to think of Jesus that way. So often we view Jesus as kind of a pushover. That's not exactly the right word, but do you understand what I'm trying to say? Jesus was and is perfect. And he was always telling people to love one another and to serve one another, and that the last shall be first, and to turn the other cheek, and you kind of get the idea that he's not going to stick up for himself, and that we shouldn't stick up for ourselves either. But I love that picture of Jesus losing his temper and driving the money changers and dove sellers out of the temple. It reminds me that yes, Jesus is fully divine, and yes, Jesus is perfect, but that Jesus was also fully human. Just like me (except for the part where I'm not anywhere near perfect). Jesus faced the same fears and anxieties and temptations that we all face. If he could triumph over those, that gives me hope that I can, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...