Thursday, June 4, 2020

18/20 for 2020

Yup.  Just two more goals to go for 2020.  And then maybe I'll get a head-start on 2021.

Just kidding.  That's probably cheating.

*****

Here are the goals I accomplished this month:
  1. Plant something new.  Imagine a fruit that looks like, and has the texture of, a granny smith apple, but tastes like honeydew.  That's what I'm growing!  I'm also growing a new-to-me (and smaller, which increases the likelihood that it'll mature during our growing season) variety of watermelon, and yellow beets (along with a lot of things I have grown before).  The beets are already in the ground, and the melons will be there soon.
    These are my Sakata sweet melon starts!  They should be going in the ground soon.
  2. Wash outside windows.  Oh, this was a saga, as my friend KT can attest (everyone needs a friend who will listen patiently to the latest window washing update).  But it is done for the year.  Feel free to judge me for only washing windows once a year.  Because actually, it's more like once every five years.
  3. Log 50 activities on Strava.  This happened by accident.  When I envisioned the goal, I was thinking 50 outdoor activities.  But I joined some Strava challenges that were specifically for indoor, solo activities, and it just happened--I logged over 50 activities in Strava.  I'll take it.

*****

Here are the previously accomplished 2020 goals:
  1. Make sauerkraut
  2. Grow an amaryllis
  3. Drink tea.
  4. Make cloth napkins for more seasons.
  5. Track something.
  6. Buy a statement necklace.
  7. Make a box to sit on our toilet tank.  
  8. Make a particular wooden sign for a friend.
  9. Make mayonnaise.
  10. Make maple syrup.  
  11. Watch the Star Wars movies in timeline order.  
  12. Start seeds indoors
  13. Finish or decide to abandon that darn puzzle.  
  14. Make a cast iron skillet handle cover.  

*****

Here is a goal I plan to work on in June (ha! I am determined to make this happen this year, but at this point, it's kind of a joke to put it on the to-be-worked-on-this-month list, since it's been there so many times):
  • Make and install towel hooks/shelf in the bathroom. I actually cut the wood, y'all, which means this project is moving right along!  At turtle speed!  The current hold-up is I can't wrap my mind around how to clamp my shiny new pocket hole jig to the wood so I can drill the pocket holes safely.  I need to just do it, because my mind is not going to be able to picture the correct configuration--I'll need to try something, then adjust accordingly.  The chick-brooding is coming to an end, which means soon I'll be able to clean, take down wallpaper, repair walls, and paint, which means that sometime the shelf can go up.
I only have one goal that I plan to work on in June, because if I work on more than one, I'll be done for the year.  Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing?  But it seems wrong.

*****

Here is the list of remaining potential goals:
  1. Crochet a cowl
  2. Crochet a poncho
  3. Make reusable food wrap
  4. Make a pretty apron (I would have to find a pattern I like first.  Also, a sewing machine)
  5. Make lip balm
  6. Make soap
  7. Make a console table/thing to keep the step stool from dinging our wall.
  8. Make a frame for the B
  9. String art
  10. Install pallet wall
  11. Install gallery wall (we had a gallery wall, but there was just something off about it.  I was never happy with it.  Too symmetrical, maybe.  Or the frames were too close together.  Or maybe too big or too small in scale for the wall.  So I'm afraid to try again, lest I not like it again.  I think a gallery would look better on the wall we're intending to palletisize (absolutely a word), but I don't know if I will want to cover up so much of that wall).
  12. Light an outdoor tree (there is a sledding hill between our house and the tree I want to light, so I'm not sure it'll work.  Either there will be an extension cord that we will have to avoid while sledding, or the lights will have to be solar or battery powered, which, of course, would drive up the cost of this project).
  13. Go to a movie by myself (not sure what's coming in 2020, but there's bound to be at least one movie that I want to see, but no one else in my family wants to see).
  14. Hang the W (MC made a beautiful wooden W sign that needs hanging).
  15. Repair moose pillows
  16. Can apple pie filling
  17. Remove a popcorn ceiling
  18. Grow and can pickles
  19. Obtain a working sewing machine
  20. Make and install towel hooks/shelf in the bathroom.  I have the hooks.  I think I probably have the wood (I need to go through the stack of pallet wood to see if I have a combination of sizes that will add up to the size I want).  It needs to happen.  Now it's just a question of how long it'll take for me to actually take action.
  21. New floor.  It's time.  It's past time.
  22. Stencil a welcome mat.  Because our storm door opens outward and is very close to the porch surface, we won't be able to actually use the welcome mat at our own house, but I really want to try the technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...