Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Menu plan for the week of July 25

 Last week I harvested the first zucchini from this year's garden.  Apparently my friend who lives about a mile and a half away has zucchini coming out of her ears (not literally.  It's actually coming out of the garden, but it is prolific.  She's out of town this week, so maybe I should offer to go over and harvest for her), but not me.  I do not have zucchini coming out of my ears or my garden prolifically.  We've been having a flower problem, in that it's rare that we'll have both male and female flowers open at the same time, which kind of hinders fertilization.  

Anyway, I harvested the first zucchini, and I asked the kiddos what I should do with it.  I mean, I knew when I asked that question that they were not going to suggest eating it as a veggie.  I knew they were going to suggest eating it as part of a sweet treat.  And I was right; they wanted me to make muffins with it.  So I did.  I used this recipe for chocolate zucchini bread, but made muffins* instead of a loaf. 

They were really good!  Not too sweet, and kinda messy to eat (because they were so moist), and moist, and delicious.  I'll definitely be making these again. 

Here's what's on the menu this week:

Supper:
  • Fend for self or spaghetti
  • Nachos with guacamole and other yummy fixings
  • Chicken drumsticks, potato salad (gonna add pickles this time), raw veggies
  • Beef and potato casserole (I've often thought this would be good/better with mashed potatoes instead of diced potatoes.  I've got some leftover mashed potatoes, so we're going to find out), green beans
  • Pizza, salad
  • Hot dogs, buns, carrots, jello
  • Grilled chicken, salad, grilled veggie (zucchini if we have one ready from the garden; broccoli if not)

Other:


* I'm not sure why I prefer muffins to loaves in the quick bread space, but I do.  It's kinda weird because I'm not a crust or edge fan, and muffins have more crust than loaves, but there we go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...