Friday, January 14, 2011

Grands! Taco Melts

I tried this recipe, from Pillsbury's 2011 calendar, yesterday, and thought it was delicious.

1 lb lean ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
2/3 c. water
1.5 c. salsa (divided use)
1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury Grands! refrigerated biscuits (any variety)
1 c. shredded monterey jack cheese or mexican cheese blend (I used cheddar)

1. Brown and drain ground beef.  Add taco seasoning, water, and 1/2 c. salsa and cook until thickened.
2. Press each biscuit into 6-inch round.  Fill each with 1/8 of the meat mixture and 1 T cheese.  Fold dough over filling and press to seal (I used a fork).  Place on greased cookie sheet.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 9-14 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve with remaining salsa, cheese, and sour cream.

This was one of those rare recipes that everyone liked.  Well, Logo thought he wouldn't like it, so he didn't try it last night, but he did say he liked it when he had it for breakfast this morning.  I mean, really, what's not to like?  It's tacos and biscuits, two of his favorite things.

Last night as I was folding and sealing the dough, I wondered aloud if this recipe would freeze well, and I told myself that it probably would, seeing as how chicken bundles, made with Pillsbury cresent rolls, freeze well.  But as I was pondering, I thought to myself, hmmm, I wonder if I should bake it first, or just freeze as is.  Our freezer is pretty well stocked with ready-to-go meals right now, but I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to make and freeze.

Anyway, that's all very well and good, but here's where we cross over into why-did-I-not-think-of-this-before territory.  First, you could put anything inside those biscuits.  You could put pizza toppings inside, and make mini-calzone, (and you could serve them with pizza or spaghetti sauce for dipping).  You could put ham and cheese inside and make little ham-n-cheese pockets.  Turkey, broccoli and swiss.  Bacon and tomato.  Shredded chicken, BBQ sauce, and pepper jack cheese.  Really, anything you can think of, you can put inside those little biscuits. 

And second, if I put them together, bake them, let them cool completely, then wrap and freeze them, I have made home-made hot pockets for a fraction of the cost--perfect for lunches on the go.  Seriously!  Why have I not thought of this before?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...