Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Opal Apples


Did you notice a new kind of apple in your grocery store this winter?  Opal apples are only available from November until March (my grocery store sold out of them before Christmas), but if you are able to find them, you are in for a treat!

Opals are a cheery, bright yellow color and are grown exclusively in Washington by Broetje Orchards.  This variety stems from a cross between Golden Delicious and Topaz and is verified by the Non-GMO Project.  The taste is just the right marriage of sweet and tangy and the texture is crisp, but what is remarkable about this variety is that it naturally resists browning.

{Source}

I was given the opportunity to try Opals for free (thanks BzzAgent), and was thrilled to find them in my local grocery store (click here to find them near you).  I was immediately struck by the bright yellow color, which was much deeper than the Golden Delicious apples nearby.  They looked so lovely and cheerful sitting heaped in a bowl on my kitchen table.

My 14 year old son spotted the Opals and asked if he could try one.  He was immediately hooked; he said they tasted like candy, so of course I had to give them a try, and I had to agree.  The taste is tangy and sweet, juicy and delicious, and texture is just perfectly crisp.  In fact, this was probably the tastiest apple I've ever tried.  Taste good?  Pleasing texture?  Check and check.


I was most intrigued by the claim that these non-GMO apples naturally resist browning.  I was skeptical, but hopeful, so I cut an Opal and a Red Delicious in the morning, and checked in on them (and tasted, of course!) throughout the day.  At lunch time, the Opal still looked and tasted freshly cut.  By the end of the day, there was slight browning with the Opal, but nothing compared to the Red Delicious, which my kids declared inedible.  This means that Opals are perfect for on-the-go snacks and sending to school, as well as for inclusion in recipes.  Non-browning?  Check.

The icing on the cake?  A portion of Opal Apples’ sales goes to their Youth Make a Difference grants, which support youth-led non-profits involving food, nutrition and agriculture.

Bottom line: Opal apples are a delicious treat--it's kind of hard to believe they're good for you!  Highly recommend.  For more information about Opal Apples, click here.

I was given the opportunity, by BzzAgent, to try Opal Apples for free for the purposes of this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...