Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The chewing gum conspiracy

It started with Extra Dessert Delights Apple Pie flavor.

Source
I had always been a purist when it came to gum flavors.  A purely mint or bubble gum flavor kinda girl.  Until one fateful day when I tried this new apple pie flavored gum.

I didn't expect to like it, and in fact, it took a while for me to decide I did.  But once I passed that threshold, I was hooked.  Apple pie became my favorite gum flavor, and I was rarely without it.

And then one day, without warning, I couldn't find it anymore.  I kept looking, day after day, week after week, while my supply was steadily dwindling down to nothing.

Eventually, I had to face the truth: Wrigley's had discontinued my favorite flavor.  The search was on to find my new favorite.

Source
It was another one I didn't expect to like, lemon square, but something about the spike of tart lemon flavor followed by a wave of sweetness spoke to me.  I had found my new favorite gum.

And then do you know what happened?  

They discontinued it.

9-Pks-Extra-Dessert-Delights-PEACH-COBBLER-GUM-2015-Sugar-Free-COMPARE-SAVE
Source
Next was peach cobbler.  Discontinued.  I'm starting to take this personally.  Every time I find and declare a new favorite gum, Wrigley's discontinues it.  And it's happening faster and faster each time.

This time, I was savvy.  I found a new favorite, but was careful to not express the true nature of my relationship to the gum.  In fact, I went out of my way, on several occasions, to tell various people (and therefore Wrigley's, who I'm sure has me bugged) that it was just OK, and definitely not my favorite.  I reasoned that, if Wrigley's didn't know it was my favorite, they wouldn't discontinue it.
Source
It hasn't been discontinued yet, because I can still find it on Extra's flavor page, but the last several times I've attempted to buy my new favorite, I haven't been able to find it on the shelves.  

I think they might be able to read my mind.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I had no idea that the chewing gum industry was so sneaky. Thanks for shedding light on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn’t agree more I want apple pie gum back now

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way! I went from flavor to flavor and one day they were all gone. I chew a pack of gum a day and have not found any gum that tastes as good as the Extra Desserts. The apple pie and peach cobbler were so amazing! I emailed the company and they told me that they were happy I liked it but they would not be making it anymore. I say we get as many people as possible to email them asking that they continue making it. Are you in?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...