Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 10 c. cooked rice (I used brown, but a wild rice mixture would be yummy)
- 4 c. cooked chicken, chopped (to easily cook boneless skinless chicken breasts, just pop 'em in the oven at 350-375 until they're done)
- 4 c. chopped broccoli, lightly steamed (I actually just used fresh broccoli crowns and put it in without cooking
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup*
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup*
- 4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
To freeze: Divide into four ziptop freezer bags, remove as much air as possible, and seal tightly. Freeze flat. (Once frozen, these can be stored on their sides in the freezer like file folders)
To serve: Thaw overnight (or for 8 hours) in the refrigerator. Dump into a greased casserole dish (each bag will fill an 8×8-inch pan; two bags will fill a 9×13-inch pan). Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese, if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.
Each freezer bag serves 4-5 people
* If you don't like using goopy cans of cream of whatever, check out this recipe for cream of anything soup. You can make large batches and freeze in can-sized quantities to get the convenience of a can without any questionable ingredients.
I love recipes that are so easy to put together and make my life easier down the road as well. This large batch took no more time (and produced no more dirty dishes) than it would have to make a single batch, and now I have supper for us and some friends for tonight, plus two more meals in the freezer.
And now...a teaser.
Did you know my birthday's coming up? Yup. And as I've said before, the advantage of making your own birthday
Anyway...this is what I'm making.
Here's the recipe, just in case you want to make one in my honor.