Thursday, June 6, 2013

Freezer Cooking: Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole

Morning, y'all.  I came across this recipe and thought I should share it with you (yes you, Chip).  So easy to put together, and makes enough for 4 meals--perfect to throw in the freezer for those busy days when you're not sure how you're going to get supper on the table.

 
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
  • 10 c. cooked rice (I used brown, but a wild rice mixture would be yummy)
  • 4 c. cooked chicken, chopped (to easily cook boneless skinless chicken breasts, just pop 'em in the oven at 350-375 until they're done)
  • 4 c. chopped broccoli, lightly steamed (I actually just used fresh broccoli crowns and put it in without cooking
  • 2 cans cream of mushroom soup*
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup*
  • 4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • salt & pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl

To freeze: Divide into four ziptop freezer bags, remove as much air as possible, and seal tightly. Freeze flat.  (Once frozen, these can be stored on their sides in the freezer like file folders)

To serve: Thaw overnight (or for 8 hours) in the refrigerator. Dump into a greased casserole dish (each bag will fill an 8×8-inch pan; two bags will fill a 9×13-inch pan). Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese, if desired.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.

Each freezer bag serves 4-5 people
* If you don't like using goopy cans of cream of whatever, check out this recipe for cream of anything soup.  You can make large batches and freeze in can-sized quantities to get the convenience of a can without any questionable ingredients.


I love recipes that are so easy to put together and make my life easier down the road as well.  This large batch took no more time (and produced no more dirty dishes) than it would have to make a single batch, and now I have supper for us and some friends for tonight, plus two more meals in the freezer.

And now...a teaser. 

Did you know my birthday's coming up?  Yup.  And as I've said before, the advantage of making your own birthday cake treat is that you end up with exactly what you want.  I don't like cake, but since cake is practically synonymous with birthdays, that's what I'd probably end up with if someone else was in charge.

Anyway...this is what I'm making.
 
Here's the recipe, just in case you want to make one in my honor.
 
And yes, I have noticed a disturbing S'more-ish trend in my desserts recently (see here, herehere, here, and here).  Disturbing because I don't like marshmallows, either.  Not sure what's up with that, folks, but you're welcome to enjoy it while it lasts :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...