Ancho Chicken and Black Bean Salad
with Cliantro-Lime Dressing
(adapted from Go Fresh)
The grilled chicken is juicy and delicious and the ancho powder provides a sweet peppery flavor without a lot of heat. The cilantro-lime dressing compliments the chicken and salad perfectly. This filling dish is a perfectly spiced and delicious southwestern style main dish salad.
Makes 4 generous servings
- 6 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 c. cooked black beans (from a 15 oz can or cook your own)
- 1 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 c. tightly packed fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1/4 c. light mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 t. ancho powder or chipotle powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/8 t. salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves--4 oz each
2 t. finely shredded lime zest
- Lightly spray grill rack with cooking spray. Preheat the grill to medium.
- In a large bowl, stir together salad ingredients. Refrigerate.
- With the motor running, drop to garlic through the feed tube of a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Ad the cilantro. Process until finely chopped. Add the mayo or yogurt, oil, and lime juice. Process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, stir together the spice mixture. Sprinkle over one side of the chicken. Gently press the mixture so it adheres to the chicken and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Grill the chicken for 8-10 minutes, until no longer pink in the center, turning once halfway through. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut crosswise into 1/2" pieces.
- Toss the salad and transfer to plates. Arrange the chicken on the salad. Drizzle with dressing, sprinkle with the lime zest.