Thursday, April 20, 2017

I suck at housework

I have kind of always been under the impression that, once my kids are grown, my house will be clean.  I mean, it makes sense.  It's hard to keep up with so many people making messes.  If there were just two of us making messes, it would be so much easier to keep up.  Not only will it be easier to keep up--I will also have more time that could be devoted to cleaning, what with not having to transport kids or attend meetings on behalf of kids or feed kids or remind kids to put on deodorant or turn off lights and flush toilets.

I recently changed my mind, though.  I spent some time in a home that was clean.  Very clean.  One might even say super clean.  And I realized my house is never going to be that clean.  Never, ever.  Because while a clean house is a priority for me, a very, even super, clean home is not.  I am not a stellar cleaner by nature or by nurture, and I'm all about clean enough over here.  Let's get this house clean enough, and then let's go read a book in the hammock.  Or hang out with the chickens.  Or jump on the trampoline (do you think Hubby will let me keep the trampoline when the kids are gone?  Hmmm).  Seriously.  I have better things to do than to chase down every last crumb the second it hits the floor.  Or, at least, I have things that are way more fun to do.

I was kind of disappointed when I realized that my home will never be that clean.  I mean, all these years, I've been thinking it would be.  Now, I know it will not.  In a way, though, it's good that I found out now so I can adjust my expectations.  Now I won't have to be severely disappointed later on.

I found this sign on Etsy.  I think it sums me up nicely.

Click here to purchase
Speaking of which, do y'all clean your baseboards?  I had no idea that was even a thing until I started reading cleaning checklists, and there it was, on just about all of them: clean baseboards.  Wha?  Never, ever would I think to clean those on my own.  So I guess it's a good thing those cleaning checklists exist, so I can add one more thing to the list of things I should clean but don't.  Yay me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...