Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Garden update

So I know you've all been waiting with bated breath to hear how the garden plot is doing. Right now some of everything is up! The green beans are doing really well, which leads to my dilemma. You're supposed to plant them 3 inches apart and after they're about 2 inches tall, thin them to 6 inches apart. I don't know if I can bear to do that, though! Who am I to choose which bean plant should live and which bean plant should die? And I know that if I thin them, the ones that are left will be stronger because of it, but I still don't know if I can do it. I'll be thinking about what could have been...

It kind of reminds me of selective reduction in higher multiple pregnancies. A couple of years ago, there was a couple with sextuplets (I think) in this area, and when the babies were born, there was a huge firestorm of public outrage that the parents chose to continue the pregnancy with all the babies rather than to kill some of them in utero. The last I heard, five of them had died--I never heard if the sixth one lived or not, but I remember thinking that there was no way I could have done that either. Even though if they had reduced down to 3 babies, those three would have had better chances at surviving...

Anyway, I know that bean plants aren't quite the same as babies, but that's the way my brain works. I'm wondering if I should have planted more corn, since if the ones that are currently up are going to be it, I don't know if we've got enough for pollenization. I guess I'll just have to go out there with my paintbrush, pretend to be Mendel, and pollenate them myself. Only one green pepper plant survived, but there are around 5 tomato plants, the zucchinis look like they will do well (as if there was any doubt that the easiest to grow vegetable in the world would not do well), the pumpkins and watermelons are up, and we've got sunflowers and zinnias up for sure. I'm not sure about the cosmos, because I don't know what those are supposed to look like. The marigolds that I planted in our window boxes are doing well, and the lettuce I planted in a big pot seems to be sprouting (those of you who get the Kraft Food & Family magazine--I planted the seeds that were embedded in that paper on the back cover).

We also have quite a few weeds thriving. It's kind of hard to control them, because I can't really go in there to weed while I'm taking care of Bubby, and when Hubby's home, he's busy doing other things. So anyway, that's exciting news about the garden, right?

Guess what my children did yesterday. Go ahead, guess.

Well, within 5 seconds of each other, and within 30 seconds of when supper was to be ready, Bubby threw and broke a glass candle holder (my favorite one, by the way), and Code-man dropped and broke a drinking glass. And everybody was in the kitchen and nobody had shoes on. On the other hand, the MC scored two goals during his soccer game last night, and almost scored two more. His coach last night did a terrific job: he had 7 kids playing 3 v 3 and each time a new player came in, he would have them change the color of their jersey, so they were really all just playing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...