Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Taco Bean Soup {Updated}

Hi everybody.

I'm making taco bean soup today, so I thought I'd finally update y'all on how I make it now.

It all started years ago, when a dear friend gave me her recipe for taco bean soup.  We were in a Bible study together, and the group decided to share our favorite soup recipes.  At the time, Minestrone was my favorite, but I didn't make it often because it's a lot of work.  Taco bean soup quickly became my new favorite soup, and continues to be my favorite because it is so tasty and, most importantly, easy.

Through the years I've made modifications, so I thought I'd share the recipe as it stands now.  I make this just about every week and freeze it in individual portions.  I heat it up for lunch or supper or even sometimes, breakfast, if I don't feel like putting any effort into breakfast that day.

Taco Bean Soup
(click here to print this recipe)


Ingredients (serves 14)
  • 2 lbs lean ground beef (or ground turkey or shredded, cooked chicken)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
  • 1 10-15 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel or similar)
  • 1 quart home-canned pinto beans (or two 15 oz cans)
  • 1 quart home-canned black beans (or two 15 oz cans)
  • 2 15 oz cans no-salt diced petite tomatoes (or one quart home-canned)
  • 1 15 oz can yellow hominy (or white if you can't find yellow)
  • 1/2 of a 16 oz package (about 2 cups) frozen corn
  • 2 T homemade taco seasoning mix (or 1 packet taco seasoning mix)
  • 3 T homemade ranch seasoning mix (or 1 packet ranch seasoning mix)
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 t pepper
  • 1/2 t celery seeds
  • 1/2 t. truvia
Instructions

  1. Brown meat and add onion.
  2. Add remaining ingredients (do not drain vegetables--just open and dump).
  3. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally (I set my kitchen timer for 10 minute intervals so I don't forget).
Optional: serve this soup with crushed tortilla chips (or you can make some baked tortilla strips) and shredded cheddar cheese. So yummy!

Note: be sure to adjust the salt level based on your ingredients. I use no salt added beans and tomatoes, and my homemade seasoning mixes have less salt than their comercial counterparts.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...