Friday, February 7, 2020

6/20 for 2020

So, I guess I'm not making a final list this year?  Or, rather, I am making a final list, but it won't be complete until much later in the year.  It's a list in slow motion.

I like it better this way.  If I made a list at the beginning of the year, inevitably, I would end up changing my mind about wanting to do at least one of the things by the end of the year.  But I would still feel obligated to do it, because it's on the list.  And that would create angst.  No good.

Hope you don't mind (but don't really care if you do, because it's my list, and my goals).

Alright, here are the first six (of twenty) goals for 2020:


  1. Make sauerkraut. I did it!  Truthfully, it still tastes like salty cabbage to me, or at least it did when I put it in the refrigerator--I haven't eaten any since.
  2. Grow an amaryllis. I think I need to change this goal to: attempt to grow an amaryllis.  I don't know if it's too cold by the window or I've been giving it too much water, but I've got zero growth.  I moved it away from the window to the tiny piece of countertop between the fridge and the stove.  It's warmer there.
  3. Drink tea.  I did it!  I drank tea.  And I'm going to do it again.
  4. Make cloth napkins for more seasons.  Valentine's napkins, so far.  I was hoping to find something flowery or springy or Eastery, too, but all of the ones I liked had prominent white in the patterns.  It's all fun and games until someone wipes taco juice on a white napkin.  I'll keep looking.  We already had fall/Thanksgiving and Christmas/winter napkins, along with a generic, anytime pattern, and a summery pattern.
  5. Track something.  I added this to the list, and I started tracking two somethings, because I'm an overachiever like that.  And then I realized that I already track something (egg production).  Winning!
  6. Buy a statement necklace. A friend of mine hosted a Trades of Hope party, and I found the necklace I've been looking for for the past 3 years, made by an artisan in India.  Yay!




Like last month, I thought I'd share a few goals that I am leaning strongly toward completing.  They are not the same as last month's!
  1. Light an outdoor tree.  I have lights of two sizes, purchased on clearance.  I could probably use some more small lights, and I definitely need an extension cord, 'cause I don't think Hubby wants to give up one of his for several months while we're waiting for the snow to melt.
  2. Obtain a working sewing machine.  I ordered a part.  I'm hoping it will solve the problem.  If not, there's always Craigslist to find a new-to-me machine.
  3. Make a box to sit on our toilet tank OR make and install floating shelves above the toilet.  I'm leaning toward the box.  I can always add shelves later.  Now...what Cricut-cut phrase should I put on the box?  Any ideas?


And...here's the list of possible goals.  Like the Cricut project list, it seems to be growing.
  1. Crochet a cowl
  2. Crochet a poncho
  3. Make a reusable bag out of a chicken feed sack (this, and the other sewing-related potential goals, are complicated by the fact that my kiddo just declared my sewing machine officially not-worth-fixing.  I am definitely not up for handsewing this, or anything, in 2020).
  4. Make reusable food wrap
  5. Make a pretty apron (I would have to find a pattern I like first.  Also, a sewing machine)
  6. Make lip balm
  7. Make soap
  8. Make a box to sit on our toilet tank OR make and install floating shelves above the toilet (this goal is made more complicated by the fact that I'm not sure which I would prefer.  I mean, I like the wreath that's above our toilet (which means no shelves), but it has definitely seen better days (which means shelves would give me an excuse to get rid of the wreath).
  9. Make a console table/thing to keep the step stool from dinging our wall.
  10. Make a frame for the B
  11. String art
  12. Install pallet wall
  13. Install gallery wall (we had a gallery wall, but there was just something off about it.  I was never happy with it.  Too symmetrical, maybe.  Or the frames were too close together.  Or maybe too big or too small in scale for the wall.  So I'm afraid to try again, lest I not like it again.  I think a gallery would look better on the wall we're intending to palletisize (absolutely a word), but I don't know if I will want to cover up so much of that wall).
  14. Light an outdoor tree (there is a sledding hill between our house and the tree I want to light, so I'm not sure it'll work.  Either there will be an extension cord that we will have to avoid while sledding, or the lights will have to be solar or battery powered, which, of course, would drive up the cost of this project).
  15. Go to a movie by myself (not sure what's coming in 2020, but there's bound to be at least one movie that I want to see, but no one else in my family wants to see).
  16. Hang the W (MC made a beautiful wooden W sign that needs hanging).
  17. Repair moose pillows
  18. Log 50 activities on Strava
  19. Finish or decide to abandon that darn puzzle
  20. Make maple syrup
  21. Can apple pie filling
  22. Remove a popcorn ceiling
  23. Wash outside windows
  24. Make a particular wooden sign for a friend
  25. Grow and can pickles
  26. Obtain a working sewing machine
  27. Make and install towel hooks/shelf in the bathroom.  I have the hooks.  I think I probably have the wood (I need to go through the stack of pallet wood to see if I have a combination of sizes that will add up to the size I want).  It needs to happen.  Now it's just a question of how long it'll take for me to actually take action.
  28. New floor.  It's time.  It's past time.
  29. Make mayonnaise 
  30. & 30. Plant something new and start seeds indoors.  I ordered some seeds!  And they've been shipped!  Imagine a fruit that looks like, and has the texture of, a granny smith apple, but tastes like honeydew.  That's what I'm growing!  And starting indoors.  I also grabbed a small watermelon and a beet variety.  So fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...