Tuesday, June 22, 2021

The Mins Game week 3

So.  How's it going?  Have you been doing any decluttering this month?  Here's my update on the Mins Game that I'm playing (by myself), but first, a mini decluttering lesson.

This week I want to talk about the concept that a done something is better than a perfect nothing*.  In other words, it is worthwhile doing things that you know you're not going to be able to do perfectly, and it is much better to do something than to do nothing while waiting for the perfect time or enough time to make it perfect.  

Let me say it again: it is worthwhile doing things that you know you're not going to be able to do perfectly.  It has taken me a long time to realize this, and some days, I still find it a little hard to believe.  

The truth is, though, as a human person, I am rarely going to be able to do anything perfectly (I mean, there was that one time I got a perfect score on Just Dance ... out of the thousands of songs I have danced), so if I only do things that I know I can do perfectly?  Well.  I'm not going to ever do anything at all.  And there is no joy in that.

Be gentle with yourself, friend.  It is all well and good to set decluttering goals, like decluttering 465 items in a month, but if you discover that 465 items in a month is beyond your capability, don't give up.  Instead, do your best.  Or even not your best--just keep moving forward.  Good enough is good enough.

Here's what I've decluttered this week: another 126 items, for a total of 231 in June so far.

June 15
Some shirts that the youngest kiddo has outgrown and some washcloths.

June 16
More outgrown clothing (remember I told you that if I was able to complete this challenge, it would be because I have kids who grow?  Yeah.  That), along with some hats and gloves.

June 17
More hats and gloves, two holey socks, some face masks that I finally used.  Not pictured:  two pairs of shoes and a soccer ball that is too small for anyone here.

June 18, 19, 20, 21
Maybe you think this is cheating, but since you're not playing, I don't think you get to have an opinion :-)  I was planning on counting these stickers as one item, but then I realized I was going to have to go through them one by one before passing them on to a nearby preschool program, because there were some stickers with our name on them.

It's a good thing I did, too, because there was quite a bit of trash, too.  So that's why I'm counting these stickers as the 78 items for June 18-21.  Honestly, if I had counted each sheet of stickers separately, there probably would have been enough for the entire challenge**, so ... 


* I heard this from Kathryn from Do It On a Dime 

** Which means I am officially ... done ...  See ya! ... ... ... Just kidding.  I'll be back next week with more decluttered items, although I may have to get more, shall we say, creative, with my counting in the last week of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...