And I will have you know that this is definitely official friendship bread, because I shared some with a couple of friends and gave away some starter, too. See? I can be friendly.
OK, to be honest, the only reason I gave any away was because my starter was very enthusiastic and I ended up with more than I had planned on--seven cups in all, as opposed to the normal 4. But I did give it away instead of freezing it, so that's something isn't it?
Anyway, I made Lemon-Chia muffins and bread and Double Chocolate bread, because that's what the children requested. I also made Apple Cranberry Walnut friendship bread, because it sounded good at the time. And it was. So good.
This delicious bread is spiced with cinnamon. It's moist and not too sweet. The cranberries provide a bit of tartness and the nuts lend a pleasing texture. I love that this recipe, unlike traditional friendship bread, requires no instant pudding--I already had all the ingredients in the house.
Here's the recipe:
Apple Cranberry Walnut Friendship Bread
(adapted from here)
1 c. Friendship Bread Starter**
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. cinnamon applesauce (use plain if you don't have cinnamon)
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. finely chopped fresh apple (about 1/2 a medium apple)
3/4 c. chopped walnuts (substitute pecans if desired)
- Preheat oven to 325* F
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except cranberries, apple and nuts. Once combined, stir in cranberries, apple and nuts.
- Grease two 9x5" loaf pans or 6 mini loaf pans or 24 muffin cups.
- Optional: dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 c sugar and 1/2 t. cinnamon. (I did not do this)
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf pans and if using, sprinkle remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on top.
- Bake regular loaves for an hour, mini loaves for 30-35 minutes, muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. Cool in pan 5-10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
** If you don't have a starter, you can make your own using this recipe. Or you can just ask me for some--I'll have more than I know what to do with approximately 6 days from now.