Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Friendship Bread

I found this recipe for Amish Friendship Bread starter on Cooks.com (because I forgot to get some from my M-i-L when I was visiting):

1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 c warm milk (110 degrees)

Day 1: Soften the dry yeast with 1/4 c. warm water for 10 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon. In a non-metal bowl, combine 1 c. flour and 1 c. sugar. Mix, slowly adding 1 c. warm milk and the softened yeast. Cover loosely with clean cloth and leave at room temperature until bubbly. When mixture has lots of bubbles, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Days 2, 3 & 4: Stir with a wooden or plastic spoon until mixture is smooth. Do this once each day.

Day 5: At this time, 2 cups of starter can be removed to bake Amish Friendship Bread.
Replenish starter by stirring in 1 c. flour, 1 c. sugar, and 1 c. milk; stir; allow to sit at room temp for 1 hour, then refrigerate.

Days 6, 7, 8, 9: Stir with wooden or plastic spoon until smooth. Do this once each day.

Day 10: Repeat

So I have two problems with this recipe. First, I don't know what "repeat" means...like how much of the process I need to repeat. I'm choosing to believe that day 10 is the same as day 1, so after day 10 I do day 2...it's been a while since I've been given any starter (don't have very many friends), so I can't remember if you usually feed it once or twice during the 10 day cycle. I guess I could look it up. Do any of you know?

The second problem is, it doesn't give me a bread recipe. This is where you all come in. Please send me your favorite recipes using Friendship starter! You have 5 days...go!

This is the first friendship recipe that I've seen that calls for refrigerating the starter...I guess we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...