Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Training

At Bubby's last well-child visit with our pediatrician, I asked the doctor if he had any potty training tips. The only advice he had to offer was, "bribes are good." So, last week, armed with those helpful words, and some M&Ms, Bubby and I embarked on the adventure known as potty training. On that second, frustrating day, as we were trying to figure it all out, and failing much more often than we were succeeding, I exclaimed in exasperation, "maybe I should be getting the m&ms," (because, as we all know, potty training is a lot more work for the parents than diapers are). Bubby must have heard me, because now, whenever Bubby goes potty, mommy gets one, too. And I gotta tell you, I do enjoy at least that part of the process :-) I can see how chocolate can be very motivating in learning new behaviors.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
On Sunday we celebrated the Baptism of our Lord, which is traditionally considered the beginning of Jesus' ministry. You remember the story: John (the baptist) says that Jesus ought to baptize him, but Jesus insists that John do the baptizing. Then the Holy Spirit descends on Jesus like a dove and a voice from heaven says, "this is my son, whom I love, with him I am well pleased" (Matthew 3:17 NIV). Hubby's Bible (NLT) says, "this is my dearly loved son, who brings me great joy." Pastor Dan suggested that we remember our own baptisms each day when we wash our faces. As we bring the water to our face the first time, we can hear God saying to us, "you are my child," the second time, "you are my beloved," and the third, "I am well pleased with you" or "you bring me great joy." And we can remember, as our faces become physically clean, that through baptism, God has washed our souls clean. We are God's children, God loves us dearly, and we bring God great joy. What an inspiring way to start or end your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...