Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Finding Rainbows

I was disappointed.  I had tears in my eyes as I told MC that none of his friends could come over because they were all busy doing other things that day.

MC was devastated. 
This isn't the first time we've had this conversation.  No one is ever able to come play with him*.  I don't know how MC feels about this whole business (because I don't want to plant thoughts in his head by bringing it up), but I'm beginning to wonder if it's me or him or if I'm just paranoid (I'm leaning toward paranoid because the alternatives are just too sad to contemplate).  What's wrong with us?  Do they just not like us?

* Technically not true, however, it is true that more than half the time we can't get any of his friends to come over.

Anyway, no one could play, and MC dissolved into tears.  Messy, noisy, the-world-is-ending tears.  He had been so looking forward to hanging out with a friend.  You know how a little piece of your heart dies when your child experiences disappointment?  Yeah.  That.

I told him I would play with him.  I would be his friend.  I won't say he perked right up, but at least he stopped crying.
45 Pictures, Images and Photos
{Image Source}

You know how, after it rains, the sun comes out, and there's a rainbow?  And even sometimes, the sun will be out while it's still raining and you can spot a rainbow then?

I always, always look for the rainbow.  Because to me, rainbows are not only God's promise to never destroy the world by flood again; to me, rainbows are God's promise that even after the darkest storm, the bleakest night, the most hopeless devastation, the sun will return, and it'll be OK.  Everything will be OK, because all things work together for good for those who love the LORD.

{I feel like I should mention that God's idea of OK is sometimes radically different than ours}

Today, as I was jumping with my boy on a sprinkler-soaked trampoline, I saw the rainbow.  Yes, an actual real-live rainbow right there in the trampoline, reminding me that everything is going to be OK.  I don't know how.  I don't know what OK will look like, but I do know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that God's got this covered.  He's got it all covered.  All of our dashed hopes and dreams, all of our disappointments and failures--they'll all be OK.

Maybe you are going through a storm right now, a storm that seems endless and dark and void of hope.  Maybe you need a rainbow today, a reminder of God's endless love and providence.  My friend, this is for you.


I don't know when, I don't know how, I don't know what it will look like, but the storm will pass, the sun will return, and everything will be OK.

Look for the rainbow, my friends. It might not be where you expect, but it's there.

And we know that all things work together
for good to those who love God,
who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28 NIV

Another rainbow--one of MC's friend's plans changed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...