Monday, July 30, 2012

Growth

A few years ago, I mentioned that it takes a lot of faith to plant a garden.  And it's true, don't you think?  I mean, you put these tiny dead-looking things into the ground, cover them with dirt, and spray the ground with water.  And nothing happens.  So you keep spraying and believing.  It's a lot of work, and the result is uncertain.

I'm familiar with the process of plant reproduction, but when you look at those specks of seeds, it seems utterly ridiculous to believe that, not only will it grow into a many-times-larger plant, but it will also produce yummy food to feed my family.  Ridiculous.

tomato seed saving 4 Pictures, Images and Photos
This?
{Image Source}
That was 3 years ago. I'm thinking it was the second year that I had ever planted a garden as an adult. This morning, as I gazed lovingly at my garden, which has already produced yummy sugar snap peas, grape and cherry tomatoes, and zucchini, contemplating the sweet taste of homegrown tomatoes on our BLTs tomorrow, I realized that it's gotten easier. Believing, that is.

Becomes this?

The repeated experience of believing has made it easier to believe.  Exercising my faith has made it stronger.

We ought always to give thanks to God for you, friends, as is right,
because your faith is growing abundantly,
and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing.
2 Thessalonians 1:3 (MOUNCE)

My friends, this is true, not just in gardening, but in every area of our lives.  Exercising your faith will strengthen it.  Each time we trust God, we learn that God is trustworthy.  When we place our lives on God's altar, we learn to see with God's eyes how God is working in us and through us, and as we experience God's faithfulness over and over again, it becomes easier to trust--our faith becomes stronger.

Know this: God, your God, is God indeed,
a God you can depend upon.
He keeps his covenant of loyal love with those who love him
and observe his commandments for a thousand generations.
Deuteronomy 7:9 (Message) 

I know it's hard to believe, but sisters and brothers, I urge you: take that leap of faith.  It's a lot of work, and the result is uncertain.  But I can tell you this beyond a shadow of a doubt, the result will be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...