Monday, July 9, 2012

Deadheading and Weeding

On Thursday and Friday, I deadheaded.  On Saturday I weeded.  As you can imagine (or maybe not, if you're not a gardener), there was quite a bit of deadheading and weeding to do after I had been absent for a week.  And actually, I haven't really weeded the garden all season, so it was kind of a jungle out there.



Just in case you're thinking that deadheading is a task that involves heavy metal music and sharp implements, you're half right. Deadheading is the process of cutting dead flowers off of plants so that new flowers will grow.  You see, the purpose of flowers is to attract pollinators so that the plant can produce seeds. Once a flower has been pollinated, the plant diverts its resources into producing seeds, rather than producing more flowers.  By removing the distraction (if you will) of developing seeds, the plant is able to focus on flowers.

Weeds are another story.  Weeds grow up and choke useful plants, diverting resources they need to produce fruit.  With the removal of the weeds, the plants are then able to use the limited resources of soil, light, and water to grow and produce food.

 
As I worked, I was reminded how this is something that must be done continually.  You can't just do it once and be done, it's a constant renewal of effort.  The blooms are always fading, the weeds are always growing, and if I want to have beautiful flowers and yummy vegetables, I must deal with the weeds and the faded blooms.

It's the same way in my spiritual life--I need to put forth a constant daily effort to clear away the distractions and barriers to living in Christ--to deadhead my soul and weed around my heart.  Each new day I must recommit myself to following Christ, to continually choose the ways that lead to life.  I can't just do it once and be done.  I cannot slide into complacency, because the blooms continue to fade, distracting me away from my purpose, and the weeds continue to grow, choking my spirit and stealing my resources.


No, if I want to bloom in Christ, if I want to produce spiritual fruit, I must choose every day to follow Christ.

Inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 
2 Corinthians 4:16b

When you bear (produce) much fruit, My Father is honored and glorified,
and you show and prove yourselves to be true followers of Mine.
John 15:8 (AMP)

This is the day the Lord has made.
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...