Thursday, January 9, 2020

3/20 for 2020

Hello again, my friends.  I'm ready to reveal the first three of my twenty 2020 goals, along with a couple I won't be completing, and a few that I'm leaning strongly toward.

First up: these are the first three 2020 goals.  Yay, goals!

1. Make sauerkraut.  Truth?  I started the sauerkraut on New Year's Eve, three days before I published my list of possible goals.  I tried some sauerkraut, which I never, ever dreamed that I would like, at Thanksgiving, and I liked it.  So I had to make my own.  Had to.  Unfortunately, based on how that sauerkraut tasted, and how my sauerkraut tastes so far, it seems likely that that sauerkraut had added sugar.  Well, I had to try, and it only cost me a cabbage, a couple of carrots, a few cloves of garlic, and some salt.  Plus, my sauerkraut will make my gut so happy.


2. Grow an amaryllis.  This goal has been on my list of potential goals for all three of the years that I've participated in this project.  Amaryllis is so pretty, and so easy to grow, but it's been years since I've actually grown one.  Y'all.  I found one on clearance.  A week and a half after Christmas.  In fact, the store employees were taking the Christmas stuff off the shelves as I was shopping.  Gotta make room for Easter and garden stuff, doncha know.  So this goal is already in progress, which means it scores a place on the list.  Yeah.  I don't care that it'll be blooming in March instead of December.  Who says amaryllis is just for Christmas?


3. Drink tea.  This goal is incredibly vague.  Like, I could say that it's complete if I drink one sip of tea (I've consumed more than one sip so far this year. #winning).  It's on the list because I would like to like tea.  My whole life, I have wanted to like tea, first because my mom drinks tea, and I wanted to be like her, and now because tea has so many benefits.
Ha.  Didn't realize the fruit was so prominent in this photo; too lazy to go back and crop it now.  Enjoy this lovely cup of tea in front of fruit.
By the way, thank you to the friends who chimed in one which goals they thought I should pursue this year.  Stay tuned to see if your selections make the final list.



Next, I'll share a couple of goals I will not be completing this year.  Or, at least, I'm not certain enough that I will complete them that I want to put them on the 20 for 2020 list:

  • Hand knit a blanket.  I think I just don't like the yarn that I bought.  But I don't like any of the other yarn available locally for this project, either.  So I'm tabling this project for now.  It might happen some day.  In any case, the yarn is going back to the store today.
  • Make a willow whistle.  You knew I wasn't going to choose this one, so why not cross it off the list now?
  • Make a peekaboo cake.  This just seems like too much work.  Yeah.  Don't look at some of the other items on the list, because if this is too much work, those are definitely too much.


And finally, some goals that I am leaning strongly toward pursuing:

  1. Make and install towel hooks/shelf in the bathroom.  I have the hooks.  I think I probably have the wood (I need to go through the stack of pallet wood to see if I have a combination of sizes that will add up to the size I want).  It needs to happen.  Now it's just a question of how long it'll take for me to actually take action.
  2. New floor.  It's time.  It's past time.
  3. & 4. Plant something new and start seeds indoors.  I ordered some seeds!  And they've been shipped!  Imagine a fruit that looks like, and has the texture of, a granny smith apple, but tastes like honeydew.  That's what I'm growing!  And starting indoors.  I also grabbed a small watermelon and a beet variety.  So fun!



Here's the rest of the potential 2020 goals.  
I, um, may have ... added a few?  Yeah.  Maybe.

  1. Crochet a cowl
  2. Crochet a poncho
  3. Make a reusable bag out of a chicken feed sack (this, and the other sewing-related potential goals, are complicated by the fact that my kiddo just declared my sewing machine officially not-worth-fixing.  I am definitely not up for handsewing this, or anything, in 2020).
  4. Make reusable food wrap
  5. Make cloth napkins for more seasons
  6. Make a pretty apron (I would have to find a pattern I like first.  Also, a sewing machine)
  7. Make lip balm
  8. Make soap
  9. Make a box to sit on our toilet tank OR make and install floating shelves above the toilet (this goal is made more complicated by the fact that I'm not sure which I would prefer.  I mean, I like the wreath that's above our toilet (which means no shelves), but it has definitely seen better days (which means shelves would give me an excuse to get rid of the wreath).
  10. Make a console table/thing to keep the step stool from dinging our wall.
  11. Make a frame for the B
  12. String art
  13. Install pallet wall
  14. Install gallery wall (we had a gallery wall, but there was just something off about it.  I was never happy with it.  Too symmetrical, maybe.  Or the frames were too close together.  Or maybe too big or too small in scale for the wall.  So I'm afraid to try again, lest I not like it again.  I think a gallery would look better on the wall we're intending to palletisize (absolutely a word), but I don't know if I will want to cover up so much of that wall).
  15. Light an outdoor tree (there is a sledding hill between our house and the tree I want to light, so I'm not sure it'll work.  Either there will be an extension cord that we will have to avoid while sledding, or the lights will have to be solar or battery powered, which, of course, would drive up the cost of this project).
  16. Go to a movie by myself (not sure what's coming in 2020, but there's bound to be at least one movie that I want to see, but no one else in my family wants to see).
  17. Hang the W (MC made a beautiful wooden W sign that needs hanging).
  18. Repair moose pillows
  19. Log 50 activities on Strava
  20. Finish or decide to abandon that darn puzzle
  21. Make maple syrup
  22. Can apple pie filling
  23. Remove a popcorn ceiling
  24. Wash outside windows
  25. Make a particular wooden sign for a friend
  26. Grow and can pickles
  27. Track something
  28. Obtain a working sewing machine
  29. Buy a statement necklace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...