Thursday, May 14, 2020

Strawberry Fluff: a recipe

The other day AKD mentioned that he thought it would be good to have strawberry fluff: like green stuff, which some people call Waldorf salad, or caramel apple salad, but with strawberries.  My personal strawberries aren't ready yet (I saw a few flowers the other day), but somebody's are, because I've been seeing them for cheap at my grocery store...or, more accurately, in my grocery store's sales flyer.

So I decided to look online for a strawberry fluff recipe.  And I found a few, but they all contained cream cheese, which sounded delicious to me, but was a no-go for AKD.  So I had to make my own recipe.

All of the people (who tried it) liked it.  Strawberry fluff won't replace caramel apple salad or green stuff in our menu plans, but we will definitely be adding it to the rotation.


In the tradition of green stuff, strawberry fluff is light and slightly sweet, with just a little bit of crunch, a perfect summer side dish or dessert when strawberries are in season.  Here's the recipe.

Strawberry Fluff
  • 20 oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 pkg (3 oz) strawberry flavored gelatin
  • 1 pkg (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding
  • 1 lb strawberries, hulled and chopped, about 2 cups
  • 1 c. mini marshmallows
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts (optional. Substitute pecans, pistachios, cashews, or macadamia nuts if desired)
  • 1 pkg (8 oz) whipped dairy topping, thawed
  • (optional) crushed pretzels for garnish
Mix together crushed pineapple with juice, strawberry flavored gelatin, and instant pudding mix.  Add strawberries, marshmallows, and nuts, and stir to combine.  Fold in whipped dairy topping.  Top with additional whole or chopped nuts, if desired, or top with crushed pretzels just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...