Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Like Ships that Pass...

I have a friend who lives, oh, about a mile and a half from us.  She lives right near one of the routes I sometimes take to town, and I live right near one of the routes that she sometimes takes to town.  I am astonished at how often she and I pass each other in our big ol' kid-mobiles as we're ferrying our offspring about.  We see each other so often that I wonder how many times she and I must have passed each other on the road before we knew each other.  And it's not like we live in the same neighborhood or anything--it's not like either of us actually live in neighborhoods or anything.

We always smile and wave, me a bit goofily, I must admit, when we see each other.  And I gotta tell you, it really brightens my day to see her, even though we're just passing like two ships in the night.  Seeing my friend reminds me that I'm not alone in this whirlwind of mommy-hood, that she and I, and countless others like us, are in the same boat (or kid-mobile), so to speak, caught up in the million details that make up our lives as moms of growing, active kids.

It's a good reminder for me, who often feels alone, isolated, and lonely in my mommy-ness.  In the busy-ness of our lives, we don't always have time to reach out to each other, to spend time together, but when we pass, I am reminded that someone knows this treadmill I'm on, the challenges, the victories, the defeats.  Someone is thinking of me, and least for that moment, and sharing the journey with me.

Love you, friend.  See you on the road :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...