Monday, March 31, 2014

Menu Plan for the Week of March 31

Don't you find meal planning restrictive?  What if you don't feel like cooking what you had planned on a particular day? 

I do not find meal planning restrictive, not at all.  In fact, I feel like meal planning gives me freedom.  Freedom from having to worry about what's for supper every night.  Freedom to know that I've got nutritious food ready to go for my family.  Freedom from the daily trip to the grocery store to pick up ingredients. 

A plan is just that, a plan, and I think of my plan as more of a guideline.  It enables me to create my grocery list, and helps me remember what to cook during the week.  But if I'm just not feeling it that day, or if my day has been particularly busy and I don't feel like cooking, the plan is subject to change. 

For instance, last Tuesday was a crazy busy day for me and my family.  Tuesdays are always our most busy day, but adding in 2 dentist appointments (one of which was unplanned) and an extra volunteer shift, along with an out-of-town husband, to that Tuesday really did me in.  When it was time for supper, I was exhausted, and I wasn't even done yet.  So I deferred the meal that was on the menu for that day to be served later in the week, and we instead ate a combination of leftovers, convenience foods, and oatmeal.  There may or may not have been ice cream involved as well.  Hey--Bubby's dentist told me he should eat ice cream.  Everyone still had a fruit or a vegetable, so it was all good.  In less extreme circumstances, I move the meals or side dishes around in a particular week all the time, based on how I'm feeling or how busy I am.

With that said, here's what I am currently planning to serve this week:

Suppers:
-- Cub Scout dinner (no, we're not eating Cub Scouts.  We're eating with Cub Scouts.  There's a difference)
-- Grilled Cheese sandwiches with fries and carrots; Cupcakes for dessert--April Fools!
-- Cracked-out Chicken Noodle Casserole (from the freezer) with green beans
-- Tator-tot Casserole (double and freeze extra) with peaches
-- Pizza with tossed salad
-- Grilled Pork Chops, rice/veg medley, corn, applesauce
-- Nachos

Snacks/Other:
-- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
-- Crunchy Granola Bars
-- Guacamole

What's on your menu for the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...