Thursday, January 15, 2015

Candy Cane Kiss Cookies -- Two Ways


I know y'all think I'm crazy, talking about "Christmas" cookies a scant few weeks after Christmas.  You've probably had your fill of sweets and treats and are ready to move on to the healthy eating portion of the program.  The I-ate-way-too-much-and-now-I-feel-guilty part.  The if-I-see-another-peppermint-anything-I-might-explode part.

Not me.  I love peppermint and am willing to eat it any time.  Even *gasp* not at Christmas.
I've had a bag of candy cane kisses burning a hole in my cupboard, so the other day I decided to do something about it.  I couldn't decide if I wanted sugar or chocolate cookies, so I made both, and you can, too.  And you really should--we couldn't figure out which one was our favorite.  One 10 ounce bag was enough to make 4 dozen cookies, one batch of each.


White Chocolate Peppermint Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
Makes 2 dozen
(adapted from here)

1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 c. crushed candy canes (about 3 regular size)
1 c. white chocolate chips
24 Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses, unwrapped

  • Preheat the oven to 350*.
  • Mix butter and sugar until well combined.  Add egg and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  • Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Stir until combined.
  • Add white chocolate chips and crushed candy canes and mix until chips and candy are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
  • Scoop your dough by scant tablespoons, onto a greased cookie sheet.  I use this cookie scoop.
  • Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the edges are set and the tops are cracked.
  • If you want melted kisses (like mine--they store easier, and I think they're also easier to eat), immediately place an unwrapped kiss in the middle of each cookie, let sit for a few minutes until the kiss is melty, then push down on the tip with the back of a spoon.  
  • If you want stand-up kisses, allow cookies to cool for a few minutes before pressing an unwrapped kiss in the middle of each cookie.


Chocolate Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
Makes 2 dozen
(adapted from here)

1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/8 t. salt
Optional: 1/2 c. semisweet mini chocolate chips and 1/4 c. crushed-to-fine-powder candy canes
24 unwrapped Hershey Candy Cane Kisses, unwrapped
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Mix butter and sugar until well combined.  Add egg and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  • Sift in cocoa powder and add flour, baking soda, and salt.  Gently stir until just incorporated. 
  • Add chocolate chips and powdered candy canes, if using, and stir until distributed evenly throughout the dough.
  • Scoop out tablespoons-full of dough and flatten.  Place an unwrapped kiss on the flattened dough and fold around to form a ball of dough around the kiss.
  • Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...